Charbroiled and Cheesy

If you're in search of a cheeseburger on campus, there are a number of options to choose from: the Loop n' Cheddar, the Loop n' Swiss or the Loop n' Bleu.

Not to worry. A quick car (or bus) trip away yields a long list of joints where you can stave off cravings for the all-American classic. Below, our picks-from the passable to paradisical.

The Bull Durham Lounge

at the Washington Duke Inn

By far the best cheeseburger on points, the WaDuke's burger is cooked to order, comes with your choice of cheese and is served on a crusty sesame seed bun. Unless you have excessive food points left over, though, you might want to look elsewhere. At $14 (before tax and tip), this is definitely the most expensive option and not really worth the premium price. But hey, it's on Mom and Dad, right?

VERDICT: 2.5 stars

Wimpy's

If you're looking for value, Wimpy's is the best. If you're looking for ambiance-well, you might want to look elsewhere. A little shack on Hillsborough Road, Wimpy's serves up its cheeseburgers from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m., Monday through Friday. Topped with American cheese, the 5-ounce beef patty hits the trifecta necessary for a great cheeseburger-messy, greasy and delicious. If you're really feeling ambitious, chili and slaw are also available as toppings. The line can get long around lunchtime, but if you're smart, you'll store the number in your phone and call ahead to make sure your sandwich is waiting for you at the counter.

VERDICT: 3.5 Stars

Dain's

Tucked next to Charlie's on Ninth Street, most stumble past Dain's-a shame considering it might have the best cheeseburgers in Durham. Dain's juicy 8-ounce burger starts at a very reasonable $5.50. For extra, toppings from the traditional (your choice of cheese, bacon etc.) to the unusual (guacamole) round out this customizable sandwich, which is sure to satisfy any cheeseburger hankerings.

VERDICT: 4.5 stars

Sutton's

Perhaps the best Triangle cheeseburger of all is found-boo, hiss!-in Chapel Hill, at Sutton's Drug Store on Franklin Street. This old-school joint is a favorite haunt for UNC basketball players and is decorated with tons of Tar Heel Blue memorabilia. But if you're able to ignore that-as well as the rest of the store, which in addition to the lunch counter doubles as a pharmacy and convenience store-you'll be rewarded. The house specialty is the "Stockyard" cheeseburger, which is a 1/3-pound patty topped with Swiss cheese and barbecue sauce. The aura isn't exactly welcoming to Duke students, but the trip is definitely worth it.

VERDICT: 4 stars

Share and discuss “Charbroiled and Cheesy” on social media.