About 30 rising sophs to live on Central

Approximately 30 rising sophomore women have asked to move from their currently assigned West Campus rooms to housing options on Central Campus, a Residence Life and Housing Services official announced at Campus Council's general body meeting Thursday night.

All rising sophomore women have now been allotted space for the fall semester, Jen Frank, RLHS assignments coordinator, told members. However, RLHS is still finalizing the exact spots where they will be housed.

RLHS decided Wednesday to relax its requirement that all sophomores must live on West in order to accommodate the Class of 2011 in the face of Few Quadrangle renovations in the Fall.

"All roommate pairs are kept together and there has been an effort to keep blocks together where possible," Vice President Kevin Thompson, a junior, said in an interview after the meeting.

He noted that those who have agreed to move to Central from West will enjoy a $750-per-semester reduction in their rent and have been guaranteed the option to move into the newly renovated Few Quad in the Spring. All roommate pairs were required to agree to move to Central together.

The option to move off West was only offered to rising juniors and seniors at first but elicited few responses, Thompson said. He added that rising juniors and seniors could only open up single rooms, which does not help because it would have forced RLHS to split roommate pairs.

Also at the meeting, council members heard a presentation from a representative of USA Today's Collegiate Readership Program and approved a $5,000 expenditure to add newspaper bins on Central. The bins will be placed at the Anderson Street and Alexander Street bus stops.

Both bins will have 25 copies of USA Today and The New York Times every day, free of charge, and there will be 25 copies of the Financial Times at the Anderson Street bus stop daily.

The bins will be placed on a trial period, and the council will monitor the demand for the papers to decide on the continuation of the program.

In other business:

Members discussed the structure of the council's finance committee, which had a budget of $50,000 this year. Currently, stipulations placed on whether or not the council can fund an activity are similar to those for the Student Organization Finance Committee, Thompson said.

"The only difference is that ours can fund T-shirts but SOFC can't," he said.

Because Campus Council receives its budget from residential fees, members discussed limiting funding options to events and programs that will further better the residential experience. No decision was made at the meeting.

Share and discuss “About 30 rising sophs to live on Central” on social media.