No. 4 Duke knocks off No. 9 Hoyas

No. 4 Duke defeated ninth-ranked Georgetown, 12-11, Saturday to extend its home winning streak to 19 games.

The Blue Devils (7-1) and Hoyas (5-1) traded the lead throughout the second half, with Georgetown going ahead 10-9 with just under 15 minutes to play. Duke, however, outscored the Hoyas 3-1 down the stretch, shutting them out over the final 10 minutes.

Midfielder Jess Adam scored the game-winning goal. It was the junior's third game-winner of the season.

The Blue Devils lost the overall draws for the fourth straight contest, but during the last 15 minutes, Duke won all five draws. That spurred the Blue Devils to their closing run and their fifth comeback win this season.

Duke's duo of junior attackers, Megan Del Monte and Carolyn Davis, combined for five goals to lead the Blue Devil offense.

The victory was Duke's second consecutive following its lone loss of the year at Princeton. The Blue Devils defeated Vermont, 20-6, Tuesday at home behind four goals each from Del Monte and Davis.

Duke scored the game's first seven goals, and the margin was never closer than six after the opening salvo. The Blue Devils forced 18 turnovers and junior goalie Kim Imbesi had five saves for Duke.

The two spring break victories stretched the Blue Devils' home winning streak to 19 games. Duke has not lost at Koskinen Stadium since April 1, 2006, a span of nearly two years.

The Blue Devils next travel down Tobacco Road to Chapel Hill to battle No. 7 North Carolina at 1 p.m. Saturday at Fetzer Field.

Share and discuss “No. 4 Duke knocks off No. 9 Hoyas” on social media.