'Here it goes again:' Crazies rev up for Duke-UNC

OK Go learned a new phrase last night: "Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell." Throngs of Krzyzewskiville residents and non-residents alike gathered in the Card Gymnasium parking lot to celebrate the famous blue-on-blue rivalry while rocking out to band OK Go in the first-ever K-ville concert. Throughout the show, students sporadically shouted the rivalry chant in their enthusiasm for the upcoming game. Dressed up in formal suits while facing a crowd mostly clad in sweat suits, band members praised tenters' spirits and their ability to brave the K-ville experience. "Tim [Nordwind] lived in a tent for a month once. It wasn't pretty," lead singer Damian Kulash said. "What I'm saying is, we sympathize. You're f-ing out of your minds." The pop-rock band performed for an hour, returning to the stage to play two extra songs in an encore. Several students said they were eagerly waiting for OK Go to bring out the treadmills to perform the choreography made famous in their "Here It Goes Again" music video. "They could have imported them from Wilson [Recreation Center]," suggested sophomore Anne Jiao. Junior Vincent Ling, head of production for Duke University Union's Major Attractions committee, said the group could not perform on treadmills due to liability issues. Despite the lack of their endearing dance moves, OK Go rocked out K-ville in a concert rounding out a week of pre-Duke-Carolina-game festivities. They played hit singles "Here It Goes Again" and "A Million Ways"-the latter performed on a raised platform in the middle of the student crowd. Student rock band Stella by Starlight opened the concert with a variety of music, throwing in a couple club songs-including "Crank That" by rapper Soulja Boy Tell'em-at the end of their performance. Returning for an encore, the four members of the headliner band donned suit jackets that lighted up graphic letters on their backs to spell "OK Go." "It added a pretty quirky touch to the show," Ling said. Kulash kept with the lively tone by climbing onto mega-speakers, and at one point he leaned out into the audience from the stage and supported himself with sophomore Adam Barron's hand, threatening to crowd surf. "His hand was firm and warm and manly," Barron said. He added that the band interacted with the audience well and brought high energy to the concert and crowd. "They were perfect for K-ville," he said. But sophomore Lucius Walker said the band did not appeal to his taste. "I thought [they] sucked. OK Go is a mediocre band, and they give me too much of an indie-emo vibe," he said. Despite his different musical preference, Walker said he thought the concert idea was a great improvement to the usual personal-checks festivities DUU hosts. "For something that hasn't been done before, it went really well," said junior Chamindra Goonewardene, chair of the Major Attractions committee and DUU president-elect. "It's something that we're definitely looking into doing next year." The show was the last DUU concert of the year. "It was a free concert everyone got to enjoy, so it was a really good way to end the year," Goonewardene said.

Share and discuss “'Here it goes again:' Crazies rev up for Duke-UNC” on social media.