Twinbill rocks rafters in Page

Consider it a standing ovation.

Rock bands Augustana and Boys Like Girls had a sold-out crowd on its feet for a nearly two-and-a-half hour show in Page Auditorium Saturday night.

With cell phones high in the air, students joined in falsettos and rocked to the crescendos at the double-headlined concert.

"It built up really well with Augustana playing first with a slightly mellow tone and Boys Like Girls playing with really high energy," said junior Chamindra Goonewardene, chair of Duke University Union's Major Attractions committee, which organized the show.

The two performances featured a variety of styles within the genre, from classic to punk to alternative rock.

But at least one person there said the concert may have been too lively for the venue.

"I've got a problem with these seats," Boys Like Girls lead singer Martin Johnson confessed. "I feel like I'm playing a f- talent show. I want to see you guys moving."

Security concerns prevented students from dancing in the aisles during the performances.

Goonewardene said, however, Page's acoustics advantages outweighed the auditorium's space limitations.

"It definitely was a constraint," he said. "But considering our options, we did pretty well."

DUU President Katelyn Donnelly, a senior, said a "safe section" allowing dancing could have better accommodated the concert.

Still, California-based band Augustana kept the audience entertained with powerful melodies, including 2006 hit single "Boston" and "I Still Ain't Over You" from their forthcoming album "Can't Love, Can't Hurt."

And Boys Like Girls delivered on the promise of a fun time with knee-wobbling, upbeat tunes, including hit songs "The Great Escape" and "Hero/Heroine." The band also performed a punk-rock version of Frou Frou's "Let Go," engaging in a versatile display of vocals and beats.

Flanked by a guitarist, a bassist, a drummer and a keyboardist, Augustana lead singer Dan Layus crooned into the microphone, eyes closed, while strumming a guitar or playing the piano.

"We've played at a couple colleges in the area, but this audience was easily the best," Layus told The Chronicle after the show.

But he also had some criticism, which received a mixed response from students.

"I love the guy who keeps booing the guy who keeps introducing us," he told the audience. "That's really f- classy. Is that what you pay $45,000 a year to learn?"

Playing together for the first time in three months, the band closed its performance with a hard-rock scream session culminating in Layus jumping on drummer Justin South and pushing him off his seat.

The tone was set for Boys Like Girls.

Swinging guitars and tossing picks and water bottles into the crowd, the band got students pumped for more than just the music.

"Eat s-, Carolinaaa," Johnson yelled into the crowd. "The second I walked in and got dropped off, every motherf- was repping their school coming out of the basketball game. I felt a little left out."

He then donned sophomore Jon Scheyer's jersey, prompting cheers and rivalry chants before quickly changing the mood to sing "Thunder," a song about summer love.

Some students said though they enjoyed both performances, Boys Like Girls engaged the crowd better and put on a more dynamic show.

"When we all had our cell phones in the air for 'Thunder,' it was really cute-it really got the audience going," sophomore Stephanie Li said.

Donnelly touted the bands' midlevel fame, adding that the concert exposed students to new music and allowed for a diverse set of programming.

"The smaller shows in Page Auditorium have been a really good working model for the Union this year," she said.

Share and discuss “Twinbill rocks rafters in Page” on social media.