IFC selects new executive council

The 15 chapter presidents of the Interfraternity Council elected a fresh Executive Board Tuesday night.

Junior Lee Hathaway of Kappa Alpha Order, current vice president for chapter services, will take the reins from President David Melton, a senior, around spring break.

"I'm really excited, and I'm really looking forward to serving as the next IFC president," Hathaway said. "I think we have a great group of guys assembled on the Exec Board this year."

Junior Jordan Giordano of Alpha Tao Omega fraternity, who currently serves as director for community interaction of IFC and executive vice president of Duke Student Government, was elected IFC executive vice president.

Juniors Trent McNatt of Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity and Brian Adams of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity were elected vice president for recruitment and pledging and vice president for community interaction, respectively, and sophomore Conor Murdoch of Kappa Alpha Order will serve as vice president for chapter services.

Melton said the new board will have the opportunity to follow up with discussions surrounding the Campus Culture Initiative and the provost's reports to help improve the undergraduate social scene.

"We've been a big part of that discussion and we have every intent to be a big part of the solution, and I believe that we can play a big role," he said. "I'm looking forward to seeing what [the board is] going to accomplish with that."

Hathaway said his goals include helping fraternity chapters improve their Residential Group Assessment scores and recruiting a new fraternity in an IFC expansion process that began last semester.

He added that he hopes to increase communications between IFC and chapter members by taking the conversation "beyond the Flowers [Building] boardroom," where the board and chapter presidents hold meetings.

"One of the problems that you face with an organization like this is a loss of faith in the effectiveness of IFC serving as a governing body," Hathaway said. "I think that by actually reaching out to individual members they'll see what's going on and not see this as a mysterious organization."

Share and discuss “IFC selects new executive council” on social media.