Engineering council elects Prez, other posts

After eight hours and 300 paper votes, the Engineering Student Government gained a new executive board Feb. 1.

Junior Mary Ellen Koran will replace current Executive President Neha Krishnamohan, a senior, next semester.

Unlike the other officers that are elected by students in the Pratt School of Engineering, the organization's president is elected internally by the current board.

Sophomore Patrick Ye will serve as executive vice president, freshman Philip Danser will be next year's treasurer and junior Mollie Oudenhoven will take the reins as community service chair.

"We definitely have a strong new class of officers," said Koran, who has served as community service chair for the past two years. "There are a diverse set of backgrounds, majors and skills."

Junior Jessica Barlow was chosen as the incoming secretary and sophomores Rita Lin and Soo Hyun Choi were elected communications chair and publicity chair, respectively.

In addition, junior Alex Gorham, sophomore Ankit Prasad and freshman Maura Mulroy will serve as their respective class presidents.

Krishnamohan said the diversity among the new officers-which differs from last year's senior-heavy board-is a "hope for the future."

This year was the second in a row in which all positions were filled, which has not been the case in previous elections, she added.

Koran said she hopes to improve communications between ESG and Pratt students, increase faculty-student interactions and improve social events for students.

"We just try to make engineering a little more fun and a little less tedious," Koran said. "This year, I definitely want to build on that and keep that up."

Current officers will share their positions with the new board this semester to help them transition into their roles.

Share and discuss “Engineering council elects Prez, other posts” on social media.