DUU opts to refund Radin tix

Tickets for the cancelled Joshua Radin show, which was originally scheduled for Feb. 18, will be refunded to all ticket holders, Duke University Union officials confirmed Monday.

Radin's agents said yesterday that the acoustic singer-songwriter could not reschedule to perform at Duke because of a busy agenda, said juniors Chamindra Goonewardene and Vincent Ling, co-chairs of DUU's Major Attractions committee.

Goonewardene, DUU's president-elect, said the committee decided to refund all tickets either Tuesday or Wednesday of last week.

As of Monday night, ticket holders have not yet been notified by the Union that they had had the option to refund their tickets for almost a week.

Several students with tickets to last Monday's show said the committee should have informed ticket holders that refunding was an option as soon as it made its decision.

"It's definitely their responsibility [to keep us informed]," freshman Ghisly Echezuria said. "We bought the tickets-we should know what's going on with them."

Goonewardene said the committee did not publicize the information because they wanted to confirm whether or not the show could be rescheduled.

"We should have publicized it more, I agree," he said. "I don't think anyone was really put at a disadvantage by us not relaying that information."

Committee members are looking into subsidizing tickets to a show Radin will play at Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, March 20, Ling said. The market price for tickets to the March show, at $13, is the same as tickets were for the now-cancelled DUU show.

"We've been trying to contact Cat's Cradle, but haven't had any luck," Goonewardene said. "I don't know whether we'll end up going ahead with it or not."

He added that if the subsidies option is approved, he did not know whether it would also apply to the tickets that students purchased prior to the announcement of the discount.

Sophomore Whitney Woodhull, who bought tickets last week for the Cat's Cradle show, said she might have waited to purchase her tickets if DUU had announced earlier that it was looking into discount options.

The committee asked Radin to perform the day before or after the Cat's Cradle show, but his agents said he was only available to play during the day of the concert, Ling said, adding that the committee turned down the offer because the show would fall in the middle of a weekday during classes.

Share and discuss “DUU opts to refund Radin tix” on social media.