Blue Devils fall at home

The Blue Devils headed into their ACC season opener Wednesday with a 4-4 record and looking to upset reigning conference champion N.C. State. Duke jumped to an early lead in the match, winning three of the first four matches. But the Blue Devils (4-5 0-1 in the ACC) were unable to hold on, dropping the next six to ultimately fall 27-10 to the Wolfpack (5-5, 1-0) Wednesday in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke grapplers Voris Tejada, Addison Nuding and Aaron Glover all racked up major decision wins in the 157, 165 and 174 pound classes, respectively. With seconds left in his match, Glover took down N.C. State grappler Ryan Goodman to seal the win and put Duke ahead, 10-6, in the contest. The Blue Devils, however, were unable to hold on to their momentum against their in-state rivals. Despite giving a valiant effort after suffering an injury during the match, 184-pounder John Barone failed to battle back for the win. The Wolfpack grapplers took the next five straight contests en route to the team victory. Duke will take a break from ACC action Friday when the team travels to New York City for the New York Athletic Club Duals. The Blue Devils take on Davidson and Princeton in a tri-meet format.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils fall at home” on social media.