VPs deliver status reports

Duke Student Government senators heard semester updates from the athletics and campus services and academic affairs committees at the organization's meeting Wednesday night.

Junior Sunny Kantha, vice president for athletics and campus services, told senators that it was difficult to assess the efficacy of the new validation policy for attending men's basketball games implemented this season.

"We can't really tell if it works because our team is very good this year... but attendance has definitely increased," he said.

Kantha also discussed a project he is working on to open Quenchers at 9 a.m. instead of 1 p.m., the vendor's current opening time.

Significant student demand for the earlier hours prompted the change, which will take effect at the beginning of next semester and may continue depending on student response, he said.

A meal-equivalency plan allowing freshmen to use their $5.25 lunch credit toward a meal at the Great Hall will not be implemented this year as expected, he added. The plan, which DSG senators approved in October, cuts too deeply into Marketplace and Great Hall vendor Bon Apetit's budget, Kantha said.

"Freshmen deserve this right.... Administrators know this needs to be done," he added. "It's definitely a possibility for next year."

Senior Gina Ireland, vice president for academic affairs, outlined the projects she has completed this semester, which included the creation of a Web site to facilitate faculty-student lunches and the improved availability of staplers, among other projects.

Ireland is also working to strengthen majors' unions, which she said are "uneven across disciplines." Majors' unions need increased funding, a better accounting system, improved access to space and logistical support from the Office of Information Technology, she noted.

In other business:

Representatives unanimously endorsed a resolution presented by Ireland to make policies for underloading classes more lenient.

Senators voted to table for two weeks a resolution presented by senior Genevieve Cody, vice president for community interaction, to allow upperclassmen card access to East Campus dormitories between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.

The policy was discussed at the Campus Council meeting last week, but council members tabled the resolution, she said.

Although Cody said the policy would soften divisions between upperclassmen and freshmen and allow for "community and continuity" among undergraduates, senators opposed to the resolution said more information on freshmen opinion on the policy was necessary.

Share and discuss “VPs deliver status reports” on social media.