Ga. Tech seeks to replace duo

After inking McDonald's All-Americans Javaris Crittenton and Thaddeus Young before the start of the 2006-2007 season, Georgia Tech head coach Paul Hewitt appeared to have secured the Yellow Jackets' immediate future. Now, with both heralded recruits in the NBA after just one year in Atlanta, Hewitt's program must rebuild. Again.

Together, Crittenton and Young accounted for more than one-third of Georgia Tech's scoring last season. Attempting to fill their shoes will be 6-foot-3 guard Lewis Clinch, who was the Yellow Jackets' leading scorer until he was suspended for the season last January due to a violation of the school's honor code. Senior Anthony Morrow, a talented but enigmatic jump shooter plagued by inconsistency during his junior campaign, must also establish himself as a reliable option for Georgia Tech to earn an NCAA Tournament bid.

The Yellow Jackets' academic woes have extended to their frontcourt this season, as Ra'Sean Dickey, the team's primary post threat, has been declared ineligible for the fall semester. Versatile big men Alade Aminu, Zach Peacock and Brad Sheehan likely will see more minutes alongside bruising forward Jeremis Smith, one of the conference's top rebounders.

"This is the best core of big guys I think I've had in my eight years at Tech," Hewitt said. "They are really athletic and can really get after it."

A trio of highly regarded freshmen, led by 6-8 wing Gani Lawal, gives the Yellow Jackets valuable depth. Ranked as high as the No. 27 player in the class of 2007 by rivals.com, Lawal is expected to contribute immediately on both ends of the floor. Maurice Miller will compete with junior-college transfer Matt Causey to assume Crittenton's critical responsibilities at point guard, and Lance Storrs will provide more outside marksmanship and energy off the bench.

"We have people at so many different positions that can score, that all we need is a point guard to be a floor leader out there," Smith said. "We don't need a Stephon Marbury or a Javaris Crittenton on this team. We need a Jason Kidd. We need a Steve Nash."

Ability is not the issue for Georgia Tech-they have plenty of it. Whether or not they can survive Dickey's absence and develop consistent scoring to supplement Clinch early in the season will determine if the Yellow Jackets can be a legitimate contender in the ACC.

Share and discuss “Ga. Tech seeks to replace duo” on social media.