Editor's Note 12: on BritBrit

During my sophomore year at this fine publication, one of our editors, Robert Winterode, had an unhealthy obsession with Britney Spears. I mean really, I just couldn't understand where he was coming from. Much to my fascination there were thousands of die-hard BritBrit fans around the country, willing to take a bullet for the pop princess.

However, in recent months Spears has done little to not tarnish her royal crown. From the messy divorce to shaving her head to the hit and run to Chris Crocker, Britney has been spiraling downward. After she lost custody of her kids out of sheer laziness (missing drug tests, showing up late to hearings), many pop critics said it was the end of Britney Spears. Her career was over.

Yet for some reason we are still talking about her. To be fair we gave her a feature-length review (see page five) and that sort of attention may only help fuel the fire, but, even if recess banned her from our pages, she would remain at the top of entertainment news,

News outlets claim that they are only giving people what they want, but they fail to recognize that Britney's stardom is a media creation and they can end her time in the limelight just as easily as they started it.

However, we just can't help but build up people, only to knock them down again. Punching bag Britney will get attention for her new album and be rechristened a star, but in three months we will be trashing her all over again for dropping Sean Preston on the head during a supervised visitation.

So for the love of music and news, let's ignore Britney. Let her celebrity die a quiet and painless death and end this cycle before she becomes another Courtney Love.

Oh, and while were at it, let's get rid of Lindsay Lohan. I'm ready to live my life sans firecrotch.

-Varun Lella, Editor

Share and discuss “Editor's Note 12: on BritBrit” on social media.