Senate OKs meal equivalency plan

Freshmen stuck on West Campus for lunch may soon be able to spend food points sans regret.

Duke Student Government representatives approved a resolution Wednesday night calling for students on the First-Year Dining Plan to be able to use a $5.25 credit-equal to the amount they can use toward lunch on any day they skip breakfast at the Marketplace-toward a meal in the Great Hall.

The current plan allows students to use lunch credit only at the Marketplace. Junior Sunny Kantha, vice president for athletics and campus services, presented the resolution and said the present system was inconvenient for freshmen.

He added that the plan could not be changed previously because two different vendors controlled the Marketplace and the Great Hall. Bon Appetit now operates both dining locations.

Kantha said the vendor had not been informed of the proposal yet because Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst asked that students first indicate their support for it.

"The chances are greatly increased for getting [the new plan] pulled through now that DSG has voiced their approval for it," Kantha told The Chronicle, adding that he predicts the change will be implemented by next semester at the latest.

In other business:

Executive Vice President Jordan Giordano, a junior, proposed three bylaw changes that he said he drafted after comparing DSG's bylaws with those of peer student governments.

The changes include appointing an adviser to DSG-specifically, the director of the Office of Student Activities and Facilities. Chris Roby currently fills that post. Additionally, the proposed changes require students to attend three general body meetings in order to be eligible to run for the senate.

"This isn't meant to deter people from running at all... just to put more thought into running," Giordano said.

His presentation ended abruptly due to a fire drill, after which members voted to adjourn 40 minutes into the meeting.

Representatives unanimously approved the appointments of juniors Tariq Mohideen and Neena Makam as DSG liasons to the Duke South Asian Studies Committee. The committee was formed as a recent initiative for a greater focus on South Asian studies in the University curriculum.

Share and discuss “Senate OKs meal equivalency plan” on social media.