Hausfeld makes Blue Devil history

Four years ago, Ali Hausfeld came to Duke hoping to make a sizable impact on an improving Blue Devil squad. She never expected the individual accolades. She didn't even think she would get the opportunity to leave the sidelines.

Now, she stands alone as Duke's all-time assists leader.

During the Blue Devils second game against Miami Sunday, the senior set up teammate Rachael Moss on an otherwise routine play. When the ball crashed down on the Hurricanes' side, the point put Duke ahead 23-12 en route to a 3-0 sweep of Miami. Although the set was only one of 47 in the match for Hausfeld, it proved to be lucky number 5,083.

"I thought about the record a few times and wondered when I would break it," Hausfeld said. "But I never know how many assists I have each game. I knew that if I just played well and kept the offense going, it would eventually come. It was something I didn't want to concentrate too hard on."

Serving as an essential piece of a talented recruiting class-which includes middle blocker Carrie DeMange and libero Jenny Shull--Hausfeld was able to make an impact for Duke right out of the gate. Thanks to a vacant position early in her freshman year, the setting specialist took advantage of her playing time, accumulating 1,399 assists her first year and earning a spot on the ACC All-Freshman Team.

Hausfeld has consistently racked up assists for the Blue Devils, garnering enough attention to earn her the title of ACC Player of the Year in 2006. Regardless of her individual accomplishments during her career, the setter never forgets how imperative successful hitters have been to helping her break the record. Surrounded by as many as five talented offensive players on the court, Hausfeld never felt the pressure of having to set up only one player. Instead, the setter has been able to perfect her passing, working on her decision-making skills to choose the right pass at the right time.

Hausfeld has always favored the position of setter, enjoying the chance to get touches on nearly every play. Although many may view her physical stature as a weakness-at 6 feet she is as tall as hitters-the setter has used her height to her advantage, becoming an unexpected challenge for opponents.

"Over the years, she's really progressed as a hitter," DeMange said. "She's become such an offensive threat, especially with her dumping tactics. She's taken on a different role and become more than just a setter for us."

Now in her final season, Hausfeld, along with her fellow seniors, wants to end her career on a high note and hopes to capitalize on the team's success in previous years. With her name now in the record books, the setter can focus solely on making the most of the final months of her Duke career.

"Now that I've broken the record, it takes the pressure off," Hausfeld said. "I can focus on helping the team going as far as we can, hopefully going undefeated in the ACC and reaching the elite eight. As seniors, we just want to leave our mark on the program."

Share and discuss “Hausfeld makes Blue Devil history” on social media.