Duke tops in-state foe Wolfpack

Senior Carrie DeMange led No. 13 Duke to a 3-1 victory over Wake Forest (7-10, 4-4) in Reynolds Gymnasium Tuesday night to keep the Blue Devils atop the ACC standings.

DeMange recorded 25 kills and 25 digs-her ninth consecutive double-double. Jourdan Norman also notched a double-double for Duke (13-3, 8-0 in the ACC) by picking up 11 kills and 11 blocks. The Demon Deacons were led by Natalie Mullikin, who had 15 kills and 50 attacks, and Kristen White.

DeMange had seven kills and nine digs to lead the Blue Devils to a 30-18 victory in the first game. She hit .462 on 13 attacks. Duke held Wake Forest to a .071 hitting percentage, but the Demon Deacons still managed to pull the score to within six. The Blue Devils put them away with a late 9-4 run.

Wake Forest bounced back in the second game, overcoming an early deficit to even the match. After falling into a 16-8 hole, the Demon Deacons ripped off an 11-4 run to surge back and win the game 32-30.

Duke played better defensively in the third game, holding the Demon Deacons to a .111 hitting percentage and notching five blocks. The game was back-and-forth, with each Blue Devil run countered by one from Wake Forest. DeMange sealed the game for Duke on back-to-back service aces.

In the fourth game, the Blue Devils jumped out to an 18-10 lead. The Demon Deacons clawed their way back into it, narrowing the Duke lead to 26-23. But the Blue Devils were able to stop the Wake Forest run, and DeMange once again ended the game-this time concluding the match with her 25th kill of the night.

Share and discuss “Duke tops in-state foe Wolfpack” on social media.