Blue Devils notch 2 road victories

Duke stormed past Boston College and Maryland this weekend with a pair of hard-fought conference road victories. No. 14 Duke stomped the Eagles 3-0 Friday and defeated the Terrapins 3-1 Sunday.

"It was a really exciting match," head coach Jolene Nagel said of Sunday's contest in College Park, Md. "We had a good crowd there. I was really pleased with how our team executed today and hung tough against a Maryland team that had a really good block."

Duke (17-4, 12-1 in the ACC) won the first two games at Maryland but faltered in the third, as the Terrapins maintained a constant lead over the Blue Devils and sent the match to a fourth game with a 21-18 win.

DeMange led with 22 kills while Moss posted 17 and juniors Jordan Norman and Sue Carls picked up nine apiece. The Blue Devils defeated the Terrapins through a team offensive effort, Nagel said.

"Maryland hasn't lost at home yet this season, and it was very crowded," Hausfeld said. "We were just very happy to come away with the win."

Senior Ali Hausfeld led in assists both games, tossing up 46 and 55 against the Eagles and Maryland, respectively. In Chestnut Hill, Mass., Hausfeld notched a career-high six service aces while scoring 11 digs and six kills for a team-high .750 hitting percentage.

"We went in and knew they were going to come out and play their best especially when they're at home," Hausfeld said. "They're a very emotional team so to get some momentum against them was very important."

At Boston College (10-13, 4-9), Hausfeld posted four of her aces in the first game while Moss connected on five kills. In Game 2, Moss contributed six kills, and Hausfeld put up 17 assists to carry Duke to its win. The Blue Devils fought hard in Game 3, where they trailed by as many as six points, but Moss picked up eight more kills and senior Carrie DeMange added 11 points to push the team to a win.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils notch 2 road victories” on social media.