Shull sparks Duke offense in quest for ACC title

In a sport ruled by giants, 5-foot-5 Jenny Shull continues to dominate the competition.

Rather than allow the height disadvantage to hinder her game, the senior has used her size against her opponents, becoming a defensive specialist foes have come to fear.

"I always wanted to be a hitter," Shull said. "Having to face the reality that I wasn't going to be one in college was difficult. Being short has helped me in the fact that I love defense, and it's worked out to my advantage."

After playing primarily as a hitter during her high school career, Shull was recruited by head coach Jolene Nagel to fill the position of libero, hoping the senior's ball control and power would translate to success on the defensive end.

"I was extremely picky and really looked hard to find her," Nagel said. "I knew the position of libero was critical to the team's success, and Jenny really grabbed a hold of the opportunity to play the position. Because she was a hitter in high school, she has such great ball control and really understood the game."

Now playing in her final season for the Blue Devils, Shull has continued to serve as the defensive leader for Duke in the back-court. After accumulating over 600 digs in the previous two seasons, Shull is well on her way to becoming the first player in program history to accomplish the feat in three consecutive years. Despite the individual success she's compiling, the senior has never taken her eyes off her true goal-team success.

"You never think about your own individual stats or setting records," Shull said. "You're only thinking about team wins, team records and what you can do to help. It's such a shock to me to hear about it because I'm just going out there and doing my job."

As the primary receiver of the ball, the entire offense stems from Shull, whether it be through digging or vocally directing the team. Her consistent play and ability to ignite the Blue Devils have proven to be essential components for Duke's success. Shull's command of the backcourt allows her teammates to relax.

"She's the spark plug of the team," sophomore Rachel Moss said. "I feel comfortable back there with her because she directs us and takes control. Without her, we don't have the urgency. It's imperative to have her out there because she keeps everyone on their feet."

While demonstrating her leadership through her defensive skills, Shull takes pride in being an emotional anchor for the Blue Devils as well. In difficult game situations when teammates may begin to blame themselves for mistakes, the senior is the first to provide the comic relief to break the tension. Admired by teammates for her fun-loving attitude, Shull understands that with the stress of the game, a breather is sometimes needed to regain focus.

After a tough weekend on the road and with the start of the ACC season on the horizon, a breather is just what the Blue Devils need before they attempt to repeat as conference champions. But Shull and her teammates are looking beyond just the ACC.

"[Our] specific goals would be an ACC championship, [going] undefeated at home and shooting high, the final four," Shull said.

Share and discuss “Shull sparks Duke offense in quest for ACC title” on social media.