Dean Nowicki lays out plans for fall agenda

Duke Student Government representatives had the opportunity to meet Dean of Undergraduate Education Steve Nowicki at the organization's meeting Wednesday night.

Despite the meeting's formal atmosphere, Nowicki gave a casual introduction about himself and his plans for developing an agenda this Fall, starting what he said he hopes will be a "long and sustained conversation" with DSG.

Although he does not have a concrete agenda yet, Nowicki said, he has stepped into his role with a number of important principles that he plans to follow. He said one of his top priorities is to pay close attention to the undergraduate voice-particularly the voice of students who do not usually speak up.

"Undergraduates have to be involved consistently and deeply in conversations about what matters around here," he added.

Nowicki said some of the specific projects he has already undertaken include the follow-up to the Campus Culture Initiative Steering Committee Report and the DukeEngage program. Similar projects that focus on collaboration with other administrators and students will follow, he added.

"I'm starting with Duke as a great institution," Nowicki said. "I am not somebody who is coming in to fix something that is broken. I'm somebody who is coming in to improve something that is already damn good."

Also at the meeting, DSG representatives unanimously approved a resolution presented by senior Genevieve Cody, vice president for community interaction, that expands parking options for off-campus students.

Although previously confined to the Blue Zone parking lots, which Cody said were inconvenient for students with classes on East Campus, students now have the option to purchase a permit for either the Blue Zone, Red Zone or Central Campus parking lots.

In other business:

Junior Sunny Kantha, vice president for athletics and campus services, said he will explain at next week's meeting a new system for entering basketball games requiring students to confirm online their plan to attend the game three days ahead.

Representatives also passed a bylaw change proposed by Attorney General Paul Zarian, a sophomore, that prevents a student who voluntarily withdraws from an election to rejoin. A section of the bylaw specifying voluntary withdrawal was added at the meeting after objections to the original text.

Share and discuss “Dean Nowicki lays out plans for fall agenda” on social media.