Seniors aim to end careers on top

Seniors Carrie DeMange and Ali Hausfeld have dominated opponents in Cameron Indoor Stadium for three seasons--but they were an intimidating force together years before they ever came to Duke.

Classmates since the third grade, DeMange and Hausfeld are looking to secure the perfect ends to the volleyball careers they have played out together for over a decade.

Although the two weren't recruited as a packaged duo, both players filled empty positions on the team and were able to have an immediate effect on the squad when they came in as freshmen. Head coach Jolene Nagel considers herself extremely lucky that four years ago, the two teammates both chose to come to Duke.

"We knew they played together and were really great together," Nagel said. "But they didn't necessarily have to go to school together. I feel blessed to have coached them and know they've made history for Duke volleyball."

The current senior class, which also includes stand-out libero Jenny Shull, has definitely made history.

After recording only one loss in conference play last season, the reigning ACC champions are expected to repeat, especially with the experience provided by ACC Player of the Year Hausfeld and fellow All-ACC teammate DeMange.

Although the team finished their season with a second round loss in the NCAA tournament, the No. 18 Blue Devils-their best ranking to date-are far from satisfied with their previous performance.

"We want this to be our best season ever," Hausfeld said. "We don't want to have peaked our junior year, so it's definitely a motivating factor."

Duke hopes the experience of a tougher non-conference schedule, which includes Purdue, Nebraska and USC, will pay off and give them an edge that will translate to postseason success.

The key to the Blue Devils' achievements lies in the leadership of DeMange, Hausfeld and Shull, who have catalyzed Duke's evolution into one of the nation's top programs. After making a significant impact for Duke in their first three seasons, the mature seniors now seem comfortable with the added responsibility of leading the team.

"They've had to have a lot on their shoulders," Nagel said. "They matured on the court and have been asked to take a lot of responsibility, but also matured off the court because of how they developed as people. Now they have the right energy and the competitive mind frame to lead the team."

As one of the best recruiting classes to play for the Blue Devils begins its final season, another group is waiting in the wings. Freshmen Becci Burling, Alex Sall and Claire Smalzer may play significant minutes for the team, giving the Blue Devils more weapons in their arsenal.

In a scrimmage earlier this month, each of the freshmen stepped into the lineup and seemed prepared to make the transition to the college game.

"I think that we have a really core freshman class coming in," Hausfeld said. "Anyone can challenge us and come in and take a spot. It's anyone's game."

Also returning for the team is ACC Freshman of the Year Rachel Moss, who will be one of the primary offensive threats for the Blue Devils.

As Duke prepares to begin its season, the seniors expressed their desire to finish their careers on a high note.

"We definitely want to go out of here with no regrets," Shull said. "Every single day at practice you're giving a hundred percent because you don't want to look back and wonder what could've happened."

Share and discuss “Seniors aim to end careers on top” on social media.