Former Duke student and men's lacrosse player Reade Seligmann will enroll at Brown University for next year and play for the Bears lacrosse team, he announced Tuesday.
Seligmann, who was indicted last April in connection with rape allegations against members of the 2005-2006 lacrosse team, was nearing the end of his sophomore year at Duke when he was suspended in the wake of the indictment.
"I hope to make [Brown] proud of accepting me as a student," he told The Associated Press Tuesday through his attorney, Jim Cooney. "I am looking forward to just being a student again."
Seligmann and Collin Finnerty, another indicted former player, were readmitted to Duke in January. The Brown Daily Herald reported in February that Seligmann was looking at Brown.
Cooney sought to downplay the importance of Tuesday's announcement.
"We want to make it as much of a non-story as it ought to be," Cooney said. "[Seligmann] just wants to be a college student again."
Seligmann, Finnerty and David Evans, Trinity '06, who was also indicted in the case, attended the NCAA championship lacrosse game against Johns Hopkins Monday, as did former head coach Mike Pressler.
"I appreciate the support and loyalty of my teammates and coaches at Duke," Seligmann said through Cooney. "I will miss them. I know that they will understand why I cannot return to Duke."
Brown released a statement from Dean of Admission James Miller.
"The Brown University Board of Admission carefully evaluated Reade Seligmann's application, as well as the applications of nearly 1,100 other highly qualified transfer candidates, and voted to offer him admission to the College as a transfer student," he said. "We expect that he will begin his studies at Brown in the fall of 2007."
Brown men's lacrosse coach Lars Tiffany did not return a call seeking comment Tuesday.
Current Duke head coach John Danowski said in February that he was assisting the families in evaluating programs, though he said he hoped both players would return.
"We are pleased that Reade Seligmann is resuming his education and wish him only the best at Brown," John Burness, senior vice president for public affairs and government relations, wrote in an e-mail.
Finnerty's father, Kevin Finnerty, declined to comment on his son's plans Tuesday. He has previously said no decision would be made until the case was resolved. North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper announced March 11 that all charges against Finnerty, Seligmann and Evans would be dropped.
The Seligmann family was not available for comment Wednesday.
Get The Chronicle straight to your inbox
Signup for our weekly newsletter. Cancel at any time.