New facility looks to up Pratt space

The University plans to build a 120,000 sq.-ft. facility called the Experiential and Collaborative Environment for Learning, officials confirmed Tuesday.

EXCEL, which is slated for completion by 2010, will be located between Hudson Hall Engineering Building and the Levine Science Research Center. Officials said they hope the building will encourage a new approach to research and education for Pratt School of Engineering undergraduates.

"The center includes quite innovative approaches-you won't find these learning spaces in many other schools," Provost Peter Lange said.

Architectural firms will be interviewed in the upcoming weeks, officials said, adding that the University has concrete plans in mind, including unique spaces to facilitate improved independent and group interactions.

Kristina Johnson, dean of Pratt, said the facility will play a major role in realizing Pratt's strategic plan.

"Over the next five years, we hope to further shift the focus of education to hands-on experience," Johnson said. "[EXCEL] will expose our undergraduates to integrated lecture, laboratory and design experiences."

The multimillion dollar center will feature approximately 20 "collabatories"-combined lecture and laboratory spaces, she added.

A quarter of the facility will be used for Pratt's computer engineering and computer science programs, Johnson said, adding that the remaining space will be dedicated to other education and research endeavors.

"These programs are at the top, but this is just the next step forward," Lange said.

Johnson said Pratt faculty played a major role in the planning process, noting the "innovative" approaches to promote a more liberated classroom experience.

"Something we've really taken a leading role in is innovation in how we teach students and the student experience," Johnson said. Charlie Davidson, co-chair of Pratt's Board of Visitors' building/infrastructure committee, said in a statement that the building is an important addition.

"It's reality, it's needed, and it's endorsed by the University," Davidson said.

Share and discuss “New facility looks to up Pratt space” on social media.