Cryer leads Blue Devils into postseason play

In a changing sports world dominated by young stars like Lebron James and Dwayne Wade, Caroline Cryer likes to stay old-school.

"I've always loved Michael Jordan," Cryer said. "I loved how clutch he was. I thought it was great that he could perform under pressure."

Although the 5-foot-9 junior with bright red hair does not particularly look like Jordan, Cryer's play this season has been remarkably Jordanesque. No. 4 Duke (13-2, 4-1 in the ACC) hopes that the junior can continue her strong play when it opens action in the ACC tournament Friday at 3 p.m. in Chapel Hill against the winner of Thursday's matchup between Virginia Tech (5-11, 0-5) or North Carolina (13-3, 3-2).

If the regular season was any indication, however, the Blue Devils do not have much to worry about. In Duke's most recent win-an 11-10 nailbiter against the then-No. 4 Tar Heels-Cryer scored the game-winning goal with 5:59 left in regulation. She finished with three goals in the contest.

Earlier in the season, when the Blue Devils outlatsted then-No. 4 Virginia 19-18 in double overtime, Cryer chipped in with four goals and seven draw controls.

At then-No. 10 Notre Dame-a Final Four team last year-Cryer paced Duke with five goals in a 20-10 win.

Throughout the season, the junior attack has provided the consistency Duke has needed to be successful.

"It's simple," sophomore midfielder Jessica Adam said. "She's just really competitive. She always puts the team before herself."

Through 15 games, Cryer has tallied 53 goals, which is the most in the ACC and third-most in the NCAA. She even could break Katie Chrest's all-time Duke record of 70 goals in 21 games. These statistics are a major reason why Cryer has been recognized as a semifinalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy-given to the top women's lacrosse player in the country.

Statistics and accolades, however, are not what matter most to the junior.

"I just go out there and have fun," Cryer said. "I come to every game with the same mentality to beat every team that we play."

For Cryer, going from a sophomore that was not even first on the team in goal-scoring to one of the best lacrosse players in the country was not an overnight transformation.

In the fall, the junior spent extra time on agility drills and conditioning while working with Duke's training specialist, Jeff Howser. By constantly putting in extra time before and after practice, Cryer has seen a huge rise in offensive productivity.

"This year, becoming an upperclassman, she's really embraced her role," sophomore midfielder Carolyn Davis said. "Especially on attack, she's really stepped up with Leigh [Jester] and [Kristen] Waagbo."

Unlike other stars of her caliber, Cryer is not particularly demonstrative on the field after scoring-she merely clicks sticks with a few of her teammates and gets ready to play again. Cryer's stoicism has become a unique part of her role on the team.

"My actual initials are CCC, but some of my teammates say that stands for cool, calm and collected," Cryer said. "It's just how I am."

Now, as postseason play begins, Duke will count on Cryer to lead the way like she has all season. For her part, Cryer is looking forward to the ACC tournament-especially the possibility of a rematch with North Carolina.

"I'm ready to step in," Cryer said. "I hate to lose."

Share and discuss “Cryer leads Blue Devils into postseason play” on social media.