Admins praise dismissal, stand by response to case

As local and national media focused on high-profile press conferences in Raleigh Wednesday, University officials released several statements about the dismissal of the lacrosse case charges.

President Richard Brodhead made a statement Wednesday afternoon "welcoming" North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper's decision to drop charges against former men's lacrosse players Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and David Evans. Director of Athletics Joe Alleva also released a statement.

Additionally, Robert Steel, chair of the Board of Trustees, sent an e-mail to students, faculty, staff, alumni and parents late Wednesday. The message echoed Cooper's criticism of Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong.

"Many have suffered from his actions, these three students and their families most of all," wrote Steel, Trinity '73. "The attorney general's investigation places responsibility for this miscarriage of justice with the district attorney, and we now look to the proceedings of the state bar to call him to account before his peers."

Steel defended both the University's insistence on allowing the legal process to run its course and Brodhead's handling of the case, stating that the president had consulted the Trustees all along and had their full support.

"As we look back-and with the benefit of what we now know-there is no question that there are some things that might have been done differently," Steel wrote. "However, anyone critical of President Brodhead should be similarly critical of the entire Board."

John Burness, senior vice president for government affairs and public relations, said it was unusual for the chair of the Board to send an e-mail to the entire University community.

He added that, to his knowledge, such a message was last sent after Brodhead's selection as president in 2003.

"It is not common, but everything about this case was uncommon," Burness said. "It shows the seriousness with which the Board views this case."

He added that the attorney general's statement Wednesday had been the primary impetus for the message.

Brodhead noted in his statement that Cooper had clearly stated that the players were innocent and had not been let off on a technicality. He added that the University would use the case as a learning experience.

"During the past year, the world has known these young men, their teammates and a great university largely through the filter of unproven allegations," Brodhead said. "I trust that today's decision will begin a new day for all involved."

Neither Brodhead nor Steel offered an apology for any University decision in the case. Brodhead and others have come under sharp criticism from some groups-particularly in the blogosphere-for not being more supportive of the indicted players.

Some commentators have also speculated that the players might sue Duke after charges were dropped.

In an interview with The Chronicle Wednesday afternoon, Brodhead said he was not immediately concerned about the possibility of legal action. "This isn't a day when I'm thinking about lawsuits," he said. "This is a day when I'm thinking about relief at the end of this long ordeal."

In his statement, Alleva said he was proud of the lacrosse team's handling of the situation since last March and expressed his sympathy for the three players.

"I cannot imagine what they have experienced and truly hope that they understand the depth of our concern throughout the ordeal," Alleva said.

Share and discuss “Admins praise dismissal, stand by response to case” on social media.