Duke women bring experiences to stage

While tabling on the West Campus Plaza this past week, cast members from All of the Above were forced to repeatedly refute the same claim: "It's just like The Vagina Monologues at Duke," passersby said.

All of the Above, which opens tonight, is definitely not just the University's version of the famous play, directors stressed.

"It's not just about sex and sexuality," said co-director Christine Schellack, a senior and recess staff member. "It's about being a college student, being female and being at Duke."

Schellack-who works with co-directors and seniors Emily Rotberg, a Chronicle staff member, and Gul Tuysuz-said the play gives voice to the multitude of experiences that aren't talked about at Duke.

The play consists of 23 anonymous monologues performed by 10 actresses and the three directors. Of course there are monologues about sex. But there are also monologues about buying fish from Walmart that always die, going to Bonnaroo and discovering that your mother smokes marijuana.

The directors received more than double the number of monologues they could use and had 40 girls audition for 10 spots, resulting in a diverse set of monologues, backgrounds and personalities. Participants are afforded the opportunity to make friends and connections with women whom they might have never interacted with otherwise.

Though the play shares the experiences of women at Duke, Rotberg said the play is certainly not meant for women only.

"It's more important for guys to see the show," she said. "I love having my friends there, but I'd almost rather the seats be filled with people who wouldn't otherwise have come."

All of the Above is an opportunity for all Duke students to witness the diversity of experience on campus, Rotberg said, adding that it is powerful, but also cool and fun.

"It's really satisfying to get chills every time I hear certain parts of the monologues," she said. "It's like it's new each time."

All of the Above is performed in 209 East Duke tonight at 8 p.m., Friday at 8 p.m., Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.

Share and discuss “Duke women bring experiences to stage” on social media.