Duke returns to NCAA Zone B

For the first time since 2003, Duke sent divers to the NCAA Zone B Diving Championships, where the Blue Devils competed in a three-day event that ended Sunday.

"It was fun to be the new kid on the block and make an impact this year," said assistant coach Andy Scott. "I was very pleased with how we dove. People were definitely noticing."

On the women's side, freshman Julie Brummond had a stellar weekend, competing in the one- and three-meter dive finals. In Friday's action, Brummond notched 14th overall out of 49 divers and the fifth-best performance among ACC divers with a score of 515.35. She also scored a 251.85 on the one-meter board for 11th place.

"I was really pleased with my performances," Brummond said. "It was basically the most consistent meet I've had all year, and it was the right place for that to happen."

As for the Duke men, sophomore Nick Campisano finished 23rd out of 41 divers Friday with a 261.90 on the one-meter board while freshman Eric Winnard snagged 30th with a 249.20. At Saturday's three-meter dive competition, Campisano scored a 284.50, and Winnard tallied a 252.05. They finished 23rd and 34th, respectively.

"It was really fun to be competing at that level," Campisano said. "The competition there makes you step up to the plate."

Share and discuss “Duke returns to NCAA Zone B” on social media.