Duke fares well at ECAC/IC4As

The women's and men's track teams won an unprecedented four events and finished in fourth and 12th place, respectively, at the ECAC/IC4A Indoor Championships this weekend in Boston, Mass.

In total, 21 Blue Devils earned individual All-East honors.

Senior Dan King began the weekend by setting a school record of 21.63 in the 200-meter trials.

King also finished fourth in the 400-meter final, despite getting clipped from behind and almost falling at the start of the last lap. He was awarded All-East honors for his performance in the 4x400 relay as well as the 400-meter run.

"It was a remarkable display of running," head coach Norm Ogilvie said. "He clearly established himself as the best indoor 400-meter runner Duke has ever had."

Junior Tyler Clarke became the first Blue Devil to win an IC4A championship by taking first place in the heptathalon. After strong performances in the hurdles and pole vault elevated him from eighth place to first, he was able to hold on to the top spot in the final event-the 1000-meter run-and win the championship.

The women had their share of success as well, winning three ECAC championships and earning nine individual All-East honors.

Senior Sally Meyerhoff won the 5000-meter run and qualified for the NCAA Championships next weekend in Fayetteville, Ark.

Junior Lara Jones won the ECAC title in the pole vault with a jump of 12 feet and 7.5 inches. Jones tied for the best height with three other athletes, but was named the winner because she converted more first attempts than anyone else.

The women's 4x800-meter relay team, which won its race by 0.04 seconds over Cornell, clocked the third-fastest time in school history at 8:56.43.

Next weekend, the Blue Devils will compete on the national stage at the NCAA Championships in Fayetteville, Ark.

Share and discuss “Duke fares well at ECAC/IC4As” on social media.