Receiver charged in traffic death

Sophomore wide receiver Raphael Chestnut faces misdemeanor charges after his car was involved in the death of another driver Sunday.

Douglas Smith, 50, died at the scene of the accident in Stokesdale, N.C., but his wife and child, who were also in the vehicle, were not seriously injured.

According to the state Highway Patrol, Chestnut was driving on a curve at 65 mph during heavy rain at the time of the collision.

The patrol also reported that neither drugs nor alcohol were involved in the fatal accident, in which Chestnut apparently crossed the center line of the highway.

The Reidsville, N.C. native is not expected to incur disciplinary actions from the football program, Duke spokesman Art Chase told the Associated Press Tuesday.

Chestnut is scheduled to appear in court April 16 to be tried for misdemeanor death by vehicle and the charge related to driving left of the center line.

"I spent time with Raphael today, and he is a very resilient young man from an excellent family," football head coach Ted Roof said. "One can only imagine what he is going through, and he understands that we are here for him and his family during this trying time. Raphael's health is a priority right now, and we are thankful that doctors feel he will make a complete recovery."

With 39 catches for 375 yards and two touchdowns, Chestnut was second in receptions for the Blue Devils last season.

Share and discuss “Receiver charged in traffic death” on social media.