Duke preps plans for lax tailgate

With crowds of students and media expected to descend upon Koskinen Stadium for the men's lacrosse season opener Saturday, administrators have distributed guidelines for potential tailgates.

In an e-mail to all students, Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, announced Tuesday that police will enforce alcohol laws and that no signs will be permitted in the stadium for the game against Dartmouth.

In addition, the Whitford parking lot, located adjacent to Cameron Indoor Stadium and Wilson West Campus Recreation Center, will be closed for student parking on game day. The policy was developed in a set of meetings among officials from the Office of Student Affairs, Duke University Police Department and the Department of Athletics.

Moneta said he was not concerned about a large number of rowdy students.

"I have absolute faith and confidence in most Duke students," he said. "I fear a very small number who might choose to be irresponsible or aren't thoughtful about the effects of their actions on their fellow students and the Duke community."

Administrators said they expect a large media presence at the game, though they could not estimate how many reporters will be covering the event. Many students are also expected to attend, and some are planning tailgates.

"We expect a good crowd, especially if the weather cooperates," said Art Chase, assistant director of sports information. "Student turnout [should be good] because of the overwhelming support the Duke student body has shown for the men's lacrosse program."

Dean of Students Sue Wasiolek said she did not expect the festivities to match those traditionally held before football games.

"I've heard from the students with whom I've spoken that they don't plan the same level of tailgating," she said. "I've also heard that they plan to attend the game."

Moneta's e-mail stated that enforcement of alcohol laws will be most evident near the stadium, but could cover the entire campus.

Capt. Sara-Jane Raines, administrative officer for DUPD, said DUPD expects to have six or seven officers on duty for the game, as compared to one or two in the past.

Share and discuss “Duke preps plans for lax tailgate” on social media.