Blue Devils slip to 10th in 2nd day

After wrapping up Day Two of the ACC Championships in the Koury Natatorium in Chapel Hill, Duke sits in 10th place. The Blue Devils finished the night with 54 points, in addition to posting several season records.

"We had some really fine performances," head coach Dan Colella said. "The next two days are really big days for us in terms of scoring potential. Our best events are yet to come."

Freshman Jackie Fasano and senior Michelle Aristeo posted top-24 finishes in the 500-meter freestyle preliminaries. The two continued on to race in the bonus finals, where Aristeo set a Duke season-best time of 5:00.09, and Fasano touched in for the second-best time of the season.

"Everyone was so pumped for all their races, and it was just so exciting to be there," Fasano said of her first trip to the ACC championships. "All your teammates are cheering for you. This morning I swam the 500, and I didn't think I would make it back with my time, but then I found out that I did make it back... and it was really exciting."

In the 200-meter individual medley bonus finals, freshman Shannon Beall and junior Danielle Spearman clocked in together for Duke season-bests of 2:05.83.

Spearman, Beall, sophomore Emily Kelly and senior Leslie Hartford formed Duke's 200-meter freestyle relay team, finishing in the season-best time of 1:36.50.

North Carolina, Florida State and Virginia take up the top three places going into today's events, which include the 100-meter butterfly, 200-meter freestyle, 100-meter breaststroke, 100-meter backstroke, three-meter board and 400-meter medley relay.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils slip to 10th in 2nd day” on social media.