Women defeat No. 1 Maryland

In the midst of the raucous and sold-out Cameron Indoor Stadium, the No. 3 Blue Devils dominated top-ranked Maryland in almost every facet of the highly-anticipated game en route to an 81-62 victory in the first of what could be four matchups this season.

"On thing that coach [Gail Goestenkors] said to us yesterday that I think is really important is that with a win today, we don't win last year's national championship-that no matter what happened last year, we can't take it back," Abby Waner said. "So, I'm more excited for this year. I think that this was our first big test, and we really proved ourselves, I feel like. But we have a lot farther to go."

In what many thought would be the first time an opponent would expose Duke's weaknesses, the Blue Devils appeared to have very few against the Terrapins.

Duke shot close to 50 percent, held Maryland to 37.8 percent shooting, including 28.9 percent in the first half, and nearly had the "golden" two to one assist to turnover ratio.

The offense was sparked most by the unstoppable play of Lindsey Harding as Maryland did not have an answer for the elusive guard, who posted a team- and career-high 28 points.

On the defensive end, Alison Bales, who finished with 18 points and a game-high 12 rebounds and seven blocks, disrupted Maryland's gameplan as she took away many opportunities in the paint and forced the Terrapins to put up a plethora of outside shots, where they shot a dismal 3-for-18 from the three-point line.

Maryland head coach Brenda Frese said she was disappointed most by the fact that her team knew how "tremendous" Duke's defensive pressure was, but her team was unable to respond when they started shooting poorly in the first half.

Duke also benefited from the sporadic but smart and hungry play from its bench as Emily Waner, Bridgette Mitchell and Joy Cheek provided valuable rest for the starters.

Although Duke finished with the lopsided victory, the game was close early on as both teams came out fired up for their first matchup since last year's national championship.

Following big plays by their respective teams, Wanisha Smith and Langhorne, who scored a season-low 14 points on 7-of-9 shooting, were jumping, stomping and yelling in order to encourage their squads. Both teams fed off their intensity as Duke benefited from its transition game early on and Maryland tried to out-muscle the Blue Devils with its half-court set.

After two made free throws by Maryland guard Kristi Toliver with 3:09 remaining, the Terrapins trailed Duke, 35-30, but that would be the closest Maryland would sniff at taking the lead for the remainder of the game.

The Blue Devils went on a 6-0 run to close the half, with Harding scoring all six points, to take a 41-30 halftime lead.

"I said, 'I don't care about a lead. I have no interest in a lead right now. I don't want to secure a lead and hold onto a lead.,'" Goestenkords said she told her team at halftime. "And I thought we came out in the second half and did that, as well."

Although Maryland shot close to its season average 53.8 percent at an improved 51.7 percent in the second half, the team was barely able to register any more points than its 30 in the first, scoring only two more, 32.

With Maryland's offense sputtering, Duke did not relent in the second half, holding Langhorne to four points and continuing its first half success. Harding opened the half with the first four points, and the Blue Devils built up a 20 point, 73-53, lead with five minutes remaining.

"We felt like we were going in slow motion most of the game, and they were in fast forward," Frese said.

Duke starters Abby Waner and Carrem Gay struggled offensively in the game, with Waner shooting 2-of-9 from the three point line and Gay going scoreless, but each contributed to the flow of the offense and on the defensive end. And Waner closed the game with two three pointers, following a standing ovation for Harding as she exited the game.

"We had a blast," Waner said. "It was great to have the crowd here I can't say how much that does for our energy. Just right from the tip, Ali hit those two shots and Lindsey started driving. It was from start to finish. It was just attacking and aggressive, and when we play like that, it's a lot of fun."

Share and discuss “Women defeat No. 1 Maryland” on social media.