McRoberts emerges as defensive presence

One row behind Duke's bench, Shelden Williams watched his alma mater, representing the Blue Devils' rich history of prolific post players.

Just behind him, Patrick Patterson, the highest-rated unsigned big man in this year's high school class, sat, exemplifying Duke's possible future star big man.

On the court, however, Josh McRoberts was busy reminding Duke fans that the present isn't half-bad.

McRoberts channeled The Landlord all night, blocking five shots and deflecting and altering countless others. The sophomore was the key to preventing Boston College from exploiting its size advantage at the wing positions.

"I knew Josh would be good on defense, but he's really become outstanding on defense," head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. "He's like a bit of a protector. He hasn't done that the whole year, but he's evolved."

The Eagles run a tight flex offense that produces much of the team's points through posting up 6-foot-5 Sean Marshall and 6-foot-7 Jared Dudley as well as dominating the offensive glass. While Boston College did manage 17 second-chance points, the Blue Devils doubled up the Eagles in points in the paint, 44-22.

In addition, McRoberts' shot-blocking presence allowed Duke to extend its defense, and the Blue Devils subsequently held Boston College to 4-for-16 shooting from beyond the arc.

"Josh is a man among boys," Jon Scheyer said. "We don't want to put him in positions where he could have a foul called on him, but it's great knowing we have him back there."

McRoberts' aggressiveness did cause him to enter foul trouble for one of the few times in his career. The forward, however, played the final six minutes of the game with four fouls and registered 35 minutes despite picking up his third foul with just less than 14 minutes remaining.

McRoberts came under some criticism early in the season for not living up to expectations that pegged him as a potential lottery pick, but he has shown his incredible versatility in recent games.

And the sophomore's confidence seemed as high as it has been in his young career, something that his teammates have noticed and that has shown up in his play. McRoberts-who was shooting just 68 percent from the line this season coming into Sunday's game-comfortably knocked down all four of his free throws.

"Josh has been playing tremendous basketball for us. He's been everywhere. He's been scoring, he's been passing, he's been rebounding, blocking shots, altering shots, handling the ball," DeMarcus Nelson said. "When he plays that well, it makes everyone else's job that much easier."

Much of that confidence likely came from the early easy baskets that the Blue Devils, particularly McRoberts, were able to get. In the opening minute of the game, Nelson threw a cross-court alley-oop to McRoberts, who was wide open because of the Eagles' slow defensive rotation.

Three plays later, McRoberts grabbed one of his 11 defensive rebounds and started his own fast break. At the top of the key, he gave the ball up to Paulus on the right wing, who immediately threw the big man a perfect lob for the Blue Devils' third dunk to start the game.

"Anytime a player or a team can see the ball go in the hoop, by layups or whatever, it really loosens you up and gives you more freedom on the offensive end," Nelson said. "We got some early layups and dunks, and it really opened up the way our team played the rest of the half and the rest of the game."

After his quick start, the attention the Eagles paid McRoberts on the offensive end freed up Lance Thomas and Dave McClure, who combined for 19 points and 12 rebounds. Thomas had been held scoreless the last three games and scored in double digits for the first time since Nov. 20 against Air Force.

Despite his impressive showing, McRoberts was quick to dispel any comparisons to the now-retired No. 23.

"If I could be half the player he was, especially on the defensive end, I'd be pretty happy," McRoberts said.

If Sunday is any indication, McRoberts is on his way to far more than that.

Share and discuss “McRoberts emerges as defensive presence” on social media.