Blue Devils hold on for win

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. - Duke never trailed in its game against Tennessee Monday night, but it came frighteningly close.

After the No. 1 Blue Devils led by as many as 21 points during the first half, Tennessee stormed back and tied the score with 10:48 remaining in the contest. But the fourth-ranked Lady Volunteers (17-2) never claimed the outright lead, and Duke (20-0) held on to win 74-70 Monday night at Thompson-Boling Arena.

"We're happy to come away with a win," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "I was really proud of the way my team came out of the gates. We were ready to play, we were focused. I thought we did a great job. We understand, also, that Tennessee is so good that they were going to make runs, and they were going to make a comeback."

The remarkable resurgence by Tennessee (17-2) was made even more remarkable by the hot start from the Blue Devils. Duke (20-0) went on a 19-0 run to open the game and held the Lady Vols scoreless for the first 5:58.

"Not in my coaching career," 33-year Tennessee head coach Pat Summit said of witnessing a run like Duke's. "I think this is the only one."

Tennessee again threatened Duke's lead as the game clock neared expiration. A four-point possession by the Vols-made possible by a free throw, an offensive rebound, another free throw and rebound and finally a layup-followed by a quick three by Alberta Auguste brought them to within two, 72-70, with just six seconds remaining.

But a pair a free throws by Harding and a missed Lady Vols three-point attempt at the buzzer finally sealed the rollercoaster ride in Duke's favor.

Prior to the close second half, the Blue Devils dominated in the first period. Abby Waner led the first-half barrage, shooting 5-for-5 from behind the arc and 8-for-9 overall to score 21 points in the period.

Duke's defense, however, made the real difference, holding the Lady Vols to 29.7 percent shooting in the half. The Blue Devils' 38-27 lead at the break was six points more than any other Tennessee has seen this season.

"You're not going to hold them down for 40 minutes," Goestenkors said. "They've got too many great players."

After Duke's spectacular start, Candace Parker and teammates Alexis Hornbuckle and Sidney Spencer led a slow but determined comeback from the 9:28 mark in the first period until the 10:48 point in the second half, when they tied the game at 48 apiece on a traditional three-point play by Parker.

With its momentum stuffed and the near-capacity crowd at its feet, the 11 remaining minutes suddenly became Duke's biggest enemy.

But Wanisha Smith-who scored all of her 15 points in the second half-and Lindsey Harding stymied the Lady Vols' attacks with key shots and flawless free-throw shooting-in all, the team finished 14-for-15 from the charity stripe.

"They picked it up and came after us," Goestenkors said. "It got a little tight, but I was proud of our poise down the stretch."

Although Duke played well defensively when it counted, the team was out-rebounded 35-46 and allowed Tennessee to score more points than any opponent it has seen this year-including high-scoring Maryland, which only put up 62.

NOTES:

With the win, the Blue Devils reached the 20-win plateau for the 10th straight year.... It is Duke's third 20-0 start in team history.... The team will finish its three-game stint on the road when it faces Florida State Thursday in Tallahassee, Fla.

Share and discuss “Blue Devils hold on for win” on social media.