Local book store stands strong

When the Regulator Bookshop opened its doors 30 years ago, Durham was still a sleepy southern town, said owners Tom Campbell, Trinity '70 and John Valentine, Trinity '71, a former Chronicle editor and features writer, respectively. The city has changed dramatically since then, and the Regulator has been here through it all.

"The focus switched to off-East," Valentine said. "We are downtown, we're where it's happening. We're the funky side, with so many small businesses."

Neither owner, however, began the venture as a businessman. They got involved with the bookstore because of their love of books, culture and community and picked up the business part as they went, Campbell explained.

He was quick to point out, though, that making money is just a means to an end for them.

"It's about keeping the focus on serving the community and being different," he said.

When the bookstore expanded into its downstairs space in August 1996, the owners didn't receive final clearance from the building inspectors until the day before Duke classes began. Because they intended to sell textbooks downstairs, there was one day to move in.

"I sent out an e-mail offering free beer and pizza for help moving the books, and within an hour all these people came here-and the air conditioning wasn't even working," Valentine said. "That was really neat, that type of community."

In a world saturated with booksellers-from Barnes & Noble to Amazon.com and even Kroger-this focus on community is what makes the Regulator a success.

"We're the living room," said Valentine. "We're the commons room; we're face to face with the world all the time."

For a living room, the Regulator has had quite an impressive list of visitors, including Jimmy Carter, R.L. Stine and Dave Eggers. This summer, Asheville native Marisha Pessl-up-and-coming "it" author of Special Topics in Calamity Physics (reviewed on page 8 this issue)-held her first-ever reading at the Regulator.

Valentine said meeting their heroes has been one of the most rewarding parts of owning the bookstore, but when asked which author they'd most like to hold a reading at the store, both agreed their dream author is one they don't even know about yet.

Though the Regulator just celebrated its 30th anniversary Saturday, Campbell said they still take everything one year at a time. But it can't hurt to dream.

"I'd add on at the back a bed-and-breakfast, cafe and wine bar," Campbell said.

He also joked of their plans for a hostile takeover of big-name booksellers like Barnes & Noble and Borders.

Valentine has even loftier aspirations.

"I wish I was 25 again," he said.

Share and discuss “Local book store stands strong” on social media.