Experienced Duke enters NCAAs

When No. 25 Duke takes on Tennessee in Knoxville at 7 p.m. tonight in the first round of the NCAA tournament, the Blue Devils will be using their 2005 postseason experience to their advantage.

"Last year, we didn't really know what to expect," head coach Jolene Nagel said. "This year, we are more savvy and experienced."

Duke (28-3), which has made the tournament five of the past eight postseasons, did not earn a bid in 2004 when star players Carrie DeMange and Ali Hausfeld were freshmen. Now, with so many players who have playoff experience, the team is hoping to make a serious push deep into tournament.

Eleven of 15 current Blue Devils were members of last year's squad, which reached the second round of the tournament before falling to eventual national runner-up Nebraska.

Duke is also very familiar with its first-round opponent. In 2004, the Blue Devils clashed with Tennessee in Knoxville, and they feel prepared for tonight's game.

"Most players know how it works and know what it's like," Hausfeld said. "We played Tennessee last spring, and we're very comfortable with our position."

The Volunteers (19-11), however, also have plenty of postseason experience-and success. Last season, they reached the Final Four before bowing out to eventual national champion Washington. Although Tennessee lost four players from its 2005 squad, the Volunteers pose a major challenge, especially at home where they are 13-4.

Additionally, Tennessee has performed extremely well against teams from the ACC this season. The Volunteers knocked off Virginia, 3-1, Aug. 25 at home and North Carolina, 3-0, Sept. 2 on a neutral court in Los Angeles. The Blue Devils did clinch the ACC this year with a league-record 21 conference wins, but Duke is the lone conference representative in this year's 64-team field.

"I'm OK with our seed, but I wish more ACC teams were represented," Nagel said. "This year, we have a competitive first-round match. It is a wonderful opportunity."

A win against Tennessee would pit Duke against the winner of the game between Jacksonville State and 16th-seeded San Diego. Perhaps more importantly to this year's Blue Devils, a win in the second round could lead to a rematch against No. 1 seed Nebraska in Gainesville, Fla.

"We're not looking ahead, but we'd like to play Nebraska," Hausfeld said. "Playing in a neutral site would give us a much better shot. It'd be very cool to knock off the No. 1 seed."

The Blue Devils are 3-1 when playing at neutral sites this season.

Despite the excitement surrounding the possibility of getting a second shot at the Cornhuskers, Duke is fully focused on its first-round game. Armed with a talented squad-including four players who earned ACC honors and Nagel, who won ACC Coach of the Year-the Blue Devils hope to improve upon last season's finish.

Hausfeld was named as ACC Player of the Year Tuesday, while Rachael Moss earned Freshman of the Year and All-ACC second-team accolades. Tealle Hunkus was named to the conference's second team as well, and DeMange was named to the first team.

"Last year's experience should keep away nerves and bring stability," DeMange said. "It should allow us to come out and play strong."

Share and discuss “Experienced Duke enters NCAAs” on social media.