All I want for the holiday is...

TV takes a look at the season's hottest gift ideas.

Red iPod Nano: $199 for 4 GB, $249 for 8GB at the Apple Store

Either give it to a friend as a gift, or buy it for yourself and give a gift to a cause. For each of these bright-red iPod nanos purchased, $10 goes to the Fund to Fight AIDS. What could be more in the holiday spirit than thinking globally and acting charitably? Shame on you if you said anything other than donating to help fight AIDS. The 4GB version holds 1,000 songs; the 8 GB version holds 2,000.

Dropping a couple Benjamins in a donation bucket may feel satisfying, but can that bucket hold 1,000 songs? Didn't think so.

What the F*ck? Board Game: $20 at Spencer's

Start drinking and get playing. This game is f*cking awesome. Advertised as "The Outrageous Drinking Game for 2-100+ Players," the game begs to be played. Grab some friends-or 100-roll the dice, ask a question, vote on an answer and drink if incorrect. It's that simple. But with questions like, "Who would you rather have as a cellmate? A) a cross-dressing arsonist, or B) an anorexic gang member," players will be tipsy before they know what hit them. Comes in regular and raunchy versions-for your socially liberal and extremely socially liberal friends, respectively.

Sony PlayStation 3: $499 for 20 GB; $599 for 60 GB; now, theoretically available at local retailers

Bottom line: This is the hottest gift of the season. Almost 90,000 of the new Play Stations were sold in Japan in the three days after its release. It's the newest thing in the videogame world, and the L.A. release party brought out celebrities of all stripes. It might be a bit pricey, but the features rock-and the lucky recipient will be sure to love you, the gift-giver, for years to come. They might even let you in on a little PS action, once they've mastered it themselves from the confines of couches and beds over the relaxing Winter Break.

New York Times Touchscreen Sudoku: $20 at Brookstone

Can't get enough Sudoku? The New York Times has created a portable, digital version of the game craze. With 835 puzzles grouped by difficulty and a tiny stylus pen for filling in the squares, the new gadget's owners will trade in Blackberries for Sudoku in their down time (or class and work time). And it comes with bonuses-the "hint" and "undo" functions let players test different moves, with no worries about erasing or scribbling over errors.

Absolut Pears: Price TBA in January 2007

A new flavor of Absolut means the chance to concoct new cocktails, and the sweet, subtle vodka will be the perfect base in fruity mixtures. A great buy for any friend who appreciate a good drink. You'll have to give it to people as an "I O U," however, because the spanking new product isn't available to the public until January 2007. Make a promise, though, and plan on great spring semester cocktail soirees. (Of course, Towerview does not endorse illegal drinking; buy it for the 21+ group.)

HoMedics Mini Massage on the Go: $9.95 at Sharper Image

This is a small, and cheaper, alternative to the massagers that people always stop to try in the mall-and end up staying for an hour. The hand-held, three-pronged, "cushy" massagers come in green, pink, purple and blue. They easily fit in a bookbag or purse. Friends will thank you for a relaxing gift.

Mp3 Lightcast Light Show Machine: $50 at Brookstone

Perfect for friends notorious for throwing section or dorm-room parties. Hook the small strobe light up to a CD player, and the beam pulses to the emanating music's beat. The device comes with 30 LED bulbs in various colors, so friends can get down in the glow of different fluorescent hues.

David Eggers' New Book: $20 retail; $15.60 on Amazon.com

How can you not love David Eggers? The brilliant author behind the 2000 bestseller and youth favorite A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius is back with a new highly acclaimed book, What is the What. The New York Times called the novel, "a startling act of literary ventriloquism that recounts the harrowing story of a Sudanese refugee named Valentino Achak Deng, while reminding us just how eloquently the author can write about loss and mortality and sorrow." Eggers' newest endeavor is the hottest book of the season-and a perfect gift for any of your literary friends.

Stan Lee's Amazing Marvel Universe: $50.00 at Barnes and Noble

For your younger sibling or cousin, or those friends that just never quite grew up. Spiderman, X-Men and Hulk lovers will get a kick out of this interactive hardback comic book, akin to the musical books they listened to as kids. The book documents 50 legendary Marvel moments, with highlights and behind-the-scenes stories. Press a button and hear mastermind Stan Lee's own commentary on the comics.

Towerview Magazine: FREE on campus; For a subscription, call us. We'll work something out.

How could we begin to describe Towerview Magazine? Well, for starters, its editors are NOT afraid of shameless self-promotion, and they're pretty good-looking (see pg. 3). This mag is a must-have for coffee tables around campus, and the best part is that it's FREE. Every month or so, Towerview publishes award-winning journalism for the Duke community. It covers hard-hitting issues-like holiday gift guides and freshman rap artists. Give the gift that keeps on giving. "Buy" Towerview now... while supplies last.

Share and discuss “All I want for the holiday is...” on social media.