Duke cruises in season opener

The Cameron Crazies could hardly ask for a better regular-season debut.

They got their spot back in the front row. Sophomore point guard Greg Paulus returned from his preseason injury. And the Blue Devils crushed Columbia.

Duke (1-0) was dominant throughout the opening game of the College Basketball Experience, cruising to an easy 86-43 win over Columbia (0-1) at home. Four different players scored in double digits for Duke as head coach Mike Krzyzewski used a 10-man rotation throughout the game to pressure the Lions and match the size of their lineup.

Click for related content:

"We won big because everybody who came in the game for us played hard," Krzyzewski said. "I was particularly pleased with our three veterans-Josh [McRoberts], DeMarcus [Nelson] and Greg."

Duke will take on Georgia Southern (1-0)-who defeated the University of California-Davis, 116-73, earlier Sunday-in the tournament's second round tonight at 7 p.m. at Cameron.

The Blue Devils got out to a quick start in the first half when Jon Scheyer hit a three-pointer from the left wing on Duke's second possession of the game. DeMarcus Nelson followed it up with a steal and fast break layup. Two plays later, Paulus stole the ball and found Nelson on a no-look pass for an electrifying one-handed dunk and a 7-3 lead.

"It pretty much started for us on defense early on," Nelson said. "We got some contested steals, grabbed some defensive rebounds and we were able to get in transition to get some early layups and let guys see the ball go in. Then we just expanded from there."

The Blue Devils never looked back as they shot better than 72 percent in the first half to stake a 46-24 lead at the break.

Although Paulus played just 19 minutes in his first game action since hurting his foot during Duke's second practice of the season, his presence on the court was certainly felt. He recorded seven assists and turned the ball over just one time, while also enabling Duke to run the break and pick up full-court pressure.

In particular, he directed an efficient offense that was able to find Scheyer for open threes in the first half. The freshman, who had been playing out of position at the point in Paulus' absence, sunk 4-of-5 threes in the stanza.

"Greg makes the game a lot easier for players like myself, players like Jon and Josh," Nelson said. "All you have to do is run and put yourself in positions, and he's going to get you the ball in rhythm and stride. He's a good leader."

Duke came out of the locker room in the second half and for the first four minutes fed the ball into Brian Zoubek. The 7-foot freshman drew several fouls on the Lions during that period, and finished the game having made 10-of-13 free throws, on his way to a game-high 18 points.

The Blue Devils held Columbia to under 30 percent shooting for the game. With the deep bench and athletic guards, Duke was able to extend its defense out around the perimeter.

"It's easy for the guards to pressure the ball when we have guys behind us ready to take charges or block shots," Scheyer said. "It's team defense that gives us the opportunity to get out and pressure the ball."

NOTES:

Lance Thomas had missed the last few practices with a wrist injury and was a game-time decision, Krzyzewski said.... Krzyzewski said he didn't believe Duke would regularly use a 10-man rotation, but that the combination of players, many of which can play several positions, is an advantage they haven't had in past years. "Knowing that we don't have to pace ourselves is very important," he said.... Duke's four freshmen combined for 46 points Sunday, marking the second highest total for a class in its debut.... After the game, Paulus said his foot felt fine.

Share and discuss “Duke cruises in season opener” on social media.