Defense hopes to contain Johnson

In Duke's 2006 campaign-despite a few close games-the Blue Devils have struggled mightily. With two games remaining, the team is still searching for its first victory. It won't get any easier Saturday.

Duke (0-10, 0-6 in the ACC) takes on No. 18 Georgia Tech (8-2, 6-1) in Atlanta, Ga. in the Blue Devils' final road game. The Yellow Jackets have already clinched the Atlantic Division title and a berth in the ACC Championship Game, which will be played in Jacksonville, Fla. Dec. 2.

The contest is a homecoming for head coach Ted Roof, who was an All-ACC linebacker at Georgia Tech during his playing days and served on the coaching staff of his alma mater from 1998-2001.

Saturday against the Blue Devils, the Yellow Jackets will line up arguably the best receiver in the nation, Calvin Johnson, who leads the ACC in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns.

"He's maybe the best receiver in America," Roof said. "I don't think you stop Calvin Johnson. Hopefully you limit his effectiveness some, but I don't think you stop him."

Teams have struggled to slow down Johnson this season, as he has eclipsed the 100-yard mark in five games. Clemson, however, did manage to hold the junior without a catch for the first time in his career in the Tigers' 31-7 win Oct. 21.

"We know that he's the best receiver in the nation, so we have different mindset towards him," cornerback Deonto McCormick said. "He's not their only deep threat, but he's their playmaker and he can change the game very easily."

Duke has not had great success defending elite receivers this season. On Oct. 28, Vanderbilt's Earl Bennet-the nation's leading receiver-torched the Blue Devils for 184 yards and a touchdown. The team also ranks dead last in the ACC in pass defense, allowing 222.7 yards per game.

It's no secret that Georgia Tech will be looking to throw the ball to Johnson on numerous occasions Saturday. When the two teams line up against each other, the numbers are certainly in the Yellow Jackets' favor.

"When it gets down to certain situations where you have a short field and you know you're going to get the fade-somehow, some way we have to find a way to get up there and make a play on him," Roof said.

Cornerback John Talley has been able to make those types of plays for the Blue Devils his entire career. The senior leads the ACC with six interceptions this season and is Duke's all-time leader-tied for second in ACC history-with 17 career picks.

"Some more people need to step up and make plays," safety Chris Davis said. "Somebody other than John Talley has to make some interceptions.... We've been in position this year to do that, and it hasn't happened. We just need to take it upon ourselves to make things happen."

Share and discuss “Defense hopes to contain Johnson” on social media.