McClendon Tower beer bar vetoed

Students and administrators are now engaged in heated discussions about whether the replacement for Rick's Diner should have a bar, after the original plans for a dozen draft beer taps were nixed.

There remains disagreement over who vetoed the bar at Tommy's... Rubs, Grubs and Suds, which has encountered several construction delays and now is not projected to open until November at the earliest-months behind schedule.

Duke Student Government President Elliott Wolf, a junior, said the bar idea was rejected by Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs. Moneta told The Chronicle Wednesday night that he did not have anything to say about the issue.

"This is the most irrational thing I've heard out of student affairs yet-and that's saying something," Wolf said. "Larry is making absolutely incoherent arguments as to why a bar shouldn't be there."

The decision was not unilateral, said Executive Vice President Tallman Trask. He added that he was unaware whether or not there would be a stand-alone bar until a few weeks ago and said he had reservations about the plan.

Aug. 25, The Chronicle reported that Tommy's would have a dozen beers and weekly wine tastings.

Trask also said he opposed beer being the "featured event" at Tommy's.

That was never the case, said Tom Meyer, Trinity '91, the new restaurant's owner and owner of the Q-Shack in Raleigh.

"I never intended it to be a bar with food attached-it has always been conceived as a food destination," Meyer said.

Having a selection of beers does not automatically lead to underage or binge drinking, he added.

"What is happening here is that there is a lack of real clear communication between all of the parties," Meyer said.

Wolf complained about Moneta's "treachery" and said Moneta's decision goes beyond ignoring student opinion.

Wolf said it disregarded the wishes of the Campus Culture Initiative, of which Wolf is a member.

"I'm not comfortable with student affairs having this type of veto power," he said, adding that if dining services was confident it could enforce drinking laws, that should be sufficient.

Director of Dining Services Jim Wulforst said the proposed bar actually would have isolated alcohol distribution and downplayed the drinking atmosphere.

"I've always been an advocate of beer and wine at that location-it's never been an issue before," Wulforst said.

Blueprints obtained by The Chronicle reveal a 10-foot bar, roughly half the size of the food service counter.

Aubrey McClendon, Trinity '81 and the principal donor for his namesake tower, stipulated that beer and wine must always be available in the building, Wulforst said.

Rick's, which often had no alcohol in stock, did not satisfy McClendon's request, Wulforst added.

Campus Council President Jay Ganatra, a senior, said he was disappointed his organization was not consulted about Tommy's fate, since the Council has input on any project located in a residence hall.

Campus Council previously recommended a bar for McClendon Tower in Oct. 2002, before Rick's opened.

"It's a no-brainer," Ganatra said. "Recent events have shown that it's a lot better for Duke when the social scene is centered on campus."

Moneta suggested beer and wine should be added to Alpine Atrium in the Bryan Center, but Alcohol Law Enforcement rejected the location because it is open and insecure, Wulforst said.

Wulforst added that since Armadillo Grill has had problems with underage drinking, it makes little sense to add more alcohol to the Bryan Center.

"There's no other real estate on campus right now that could be a bar," he said.

Trask suggested the West Union Building as a possible long-term solution. The building previously housed the Hideaway, a bar which closed its doors in 2001.

Wulforst said the restaurant plans will have to be resubmitted for permits and the last-minute bar elimination could add up to a month to Tommy's opening date.

Share and discuss “McClendon Tower beer bar vetoed” on social media.