Blue Devils play for ACC tournament seeding

The Blue Devils haven't lost their final home game of the season in more than three years, and they hope to continue that streak this year.

Fourth-ranked Duke (13-4, 2-2 in the ACC) will play its fifth and final ACC match when it faces off against No. 10 Virginia (12-5, 1-3) Saturday at 7 p.m. at Williams Field.

Virginia, coming off a narrow 2-1 overtime loss to No. 2 Wake Forest last Sunday, will present a challenge to a Blue Devil team trying to gain one of the top three seeds in the upcoming ACC tournament, which begins Nov. 2 in Chapel Hill.

"They are a very physical team," head coach Beth Bozman said of Virginia. "They know that this is a very, very important game for them."

Duke defeated its seventh, ranked opponent this season last Saturday, as it defeated No. 12 California, 1-0. Sophomore midfielder Laura Suchoski netted her third goal of the season 59 minutes into the contest, and the Blue Devils' defense blanked the Golden Bears to seal the victory.

After playing a ranked team from outside of the ACC, senior midfielder Hilary Linton said Cal was indicative of the type of team that Duke expects to face in the NCAA tournament.

"They're very dangerous," Linton said. "If you don't bring your 'A-game,' and you don't take them as seriously, you're going to get punished. They're the type of team that can surprise you."

Depending on the outcome of both their own game and the Wake Forest-Boston College game this weekend, the Blue Devils can finish anywhere from third place (with a win and a Boston College loss) to fifth place (with a loss and a Boston College win) in the ACC.

Although she acknowledged that Duke's seed is still up in the air, Bozman said she wants to make sure her team is focused on the task at hand.

"It would affect it slightly," Bozman said. "It is more important that we prepare and get ready for the ACC tournament. Every game is an important game at this point in the season."

Even though the Cavalier team Duke will face Saturday is ranked fifth in the six-team ACC, the game will still provide the Blue Devils with a tough test. Except for a 5-1 loss to No. 1 Maryland, all of Virginia's three conference losses have been by a single goal.

"They've been playing very well." Linton said. "They're a very dangerous team that uses a lot of quick counter attacks."

Although Virginia ranks last in the conference in scoring margin, goals per game and goals-against average, it boasts a budding scoring talent in forward Traci Ragukas.

The freshman goal scorer ranks fourth in the ACC in average goals and has scored in seven consecutive games. Her goal against Wake Forest broke the Demon Deacon's four-game shutout streak.

"UVa is strong," Linton said. "It is going to be a difficult game."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils play for ACC tournament seeding” on social media.