Students complain about Great Hall

Although students often said the Marketplace was Duke dining's Achilles' heel, many now say the Great Hall is the location in need of most improvement.

Students were quick to note that the overall dining experience is superior to last semester, but some said they were disappointed by Chartwells--the Compass Group subsidiary that replaced ARAMARK, Corp. July 1 and is now in charge of the Great Hall, Chick-fil-A and Subway.

Student criticism was aimed at the long lines, high prices, low quality and poor service.

"There is some room for improvement," said senior Eric Hung, co-chair of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee. "The presentation is fine, the variety is good... but there are some kinks to work out."

Sophomore Tom Engquist said his request for a burrito with half-chicken and half-carnitas was rejected even though both items cost the same amount.

"Not only can she not do it, but she rolls her eyes at me," he recalled.

Engquist opted for a regular carnitas burrito, and said he found it bland and flavorless.

"And I'm Mexican, so I know good carnitas," he said, adding that the only acceptable part of his meal was his bottled water.

Sophomore Christine Siefert expressed similar sentiments about the Great Hall.

"I think it's average--it's nothing special," Siefert said, adding that it isn't superior to the Marketplace, where she dined last year when it was under the management of ARAMARK.

Several students also lamented the loss of Sitar Indian Cuisine, which used to offer lunch and dinner twice a week in the Great Hall.

"There's no more Indian food, that's a travesty," said sophomore Lauren Oas.

Director of Dining Serves Jim Wulforst attributed the problems to "opening jitters" and asked for patience from those who have had disappointing meals.

"Everyone needs to give us a little bit of breathing room," Wulforst said, adding that the management team has heard some complaints and are working quickly to rectify them.

He cited the imminent transformation of the salad bar to self-serve--which is how it worked last semester-as one improvement.

There are no quick fixes, however, to some problems, he said.

"That location is very small in the first place... it's a challenge," Wulforst added.

He said that he is looking forward to the re-design of the West Union Building, which will double the size of the Great Hall's serving area.

Share and discuss “Students complain about Great Hall” on social media.