Redick sentenced to community service

J.J. Redick pleaded guilty Monday to drunken driving charges stemming from his June 13 arrest near Duke's campus.

The ACC and Duke's all-time leading scorer received a one-year sentence of unsupervised probation, and he will be required to complete 24 hours of community service within the next 90 days.

"I am relieved that this process is over," Redick wrote in an e-mail. "I made a mistake and I take responsibility for it. I learned a valuable lesson from this incident."

Court documents made public Aug. 30 indicated that Redick had planned to enter the guilty plea. At the time, Redick would not comment on the legal situation, but he said he was looking forward to the ongoing situation being over soon.

Redick was accompanied to his appearance in traffic court by his lawyer, Donald Beskind, who wrote the Aug. 30 letter saying Redick would plead guilty.

Click for related content:

Redick was pulled over in the wee hours of June 13 after making an illegal U-turn before a license checkpoint at the corner of LaSalle Street and Kangaroo Drive. Police detained Redick in the parking lot of the Belmont Apartments.

The 22-year-old registered a .11 blood alcohol level, above North Carolina's .08 limit. Redick had "very glassy eyes" and a "strong odor of alcohol coming from his breath," according to the police report.

Just over two weeks after the incident, the Orlando Magic took Redick with the 11th pick in the June 28 NBA Draft in New York City.

District Court Judge Richard Chaney will allow Redick to complete his community service requirement in Florida as he begins his career with the Magic.

Share and discuss “Redick sentenced to community service” on social media.