JONES-ING FOR A WIN

Following a season in which Duke finished 1-10 and failed to win a single game in the ACC, the average football fan might assume that opening 2006 against a Division I-AA team is a good thing.

But looking past Richmond would be extremely dangerous. All indications are the Blue Devils are well aware of the challenge facing them in their season opener Saturday night at Wallace Wade Stadium.

"They're a good football team that is well-coached," head coach Ted Roof said. "Defensively, they don't give up the big plays. They keep the football in front of them, and they are awfully experienced."

The Spiders return nine offensive starters from a unit that gained a school-record 4,957 yards of total offense in 2005. On defense, Richmond starts eight seniors and returns seven starters from last season.

"They've got more senior starters than we've got on our team," Roof joked.

Click for related content:

Athletic Department tries to fill Wallace Wade Saturday

For a Division I-AA opponent, the Spiders are not a lightweight, ranking 12th in the Sports Network preseason poll. Richmond also competes in the Atlantic-10, arguably the best conference in I-AA with five teams in the top 25.

Duke, however, has had success in the past competing against I-AA teams. The Blue Devils have never lost to a I-AA squad since the NCAA's reclassification in 1978 and have accumulated an 8-0 record in such contests, with wins in each of the last three seasons.

Yet, both squads performed similarly last season against a common opponent as both teams handily defeated I-AA Virginia Military Institute. Duke won by a score of 40-14, while the Spiders beat the Keydets, 38-3.

A major difference between the Division I and I-AA levels is the size and quickness of the players. Nonetheless, Roof admits that Richmond will not back down to the Blue Devil attack.

"They play hard and they're a physical bunch," Roof said.

Roof and his staff began game-planning for Richmond following spring practice, a testament to the fact that the Spiders will not be overlooked.

"They are very sound on offense, defense and the kicking game," Roof said. "They don't beat themselves."

When the Spiders enter Wallace Wade Saturday night, the pressure will be on Duke. After a disappointing 2005 and a summer which saw the suspension of starting quarterback Zach Asack and the dismissal of three other players, the Blue Devils can ill afford to lose to a I-AA team to start the 2006 campaign.

A year ago, the Blue Devils suffered a disappointing opening loss to East Carolina. The following week, Virginia Tech pummeled Duke, 45-0. A win Saturday would put last season and the summer in the rear-view as it heads into its ACC opener next week at Wake Forest.

"There's been a whole attitude adjustment," senior linebacker Jeramy Edwards said. "We're going out there to fight and work hard. We had a strong off-season conditioning camp, and then, camp was strong with conditioning, working hard and pushing through adversity."

Share and discuss “JONES-ING FOR A WIN” on social media.