Jackets prep for breakout year

For many, the face of Georgia Tech football has only one name: Calvin Johnson.

But on a team that returns 15 starters from last year's talented but inconsistent squad, the junior All-American wideout is hardly the only playmaker.

Senior quarterback Reggie Ball is back under center for his fourth season. The athletic play-caller will attempt to build upon his solid junior campaign. Last season, he ranked third in the ACC in total offense, averaging 231.5 yards per game.

Junior Tashard Choice, a transfer from Oklahoma, will replace P.J. Daniels at running back after finishing second on the team in rushing last season. In addition, senior KaMichael Hall is on the preseason watch list for the Butkus Award, given each year to the nation's top linebacker.

In short, fifth-year head coach Chan Gailey may have his best shot at breaking the seven-win mark since arriving in Atlanta. With a defense sure to remain strong after finishing in the top 25 last year and an offense loaded with options, confidence is running high.

"I expect a lot of this team," Johnson said. "We have a lot of experience on offense this year, so we should be more productive. Everybody knows that our defense has been very dominant, so we're looking to make some noise."

The unranked Yellow Jackets will get a chance to prove themselves to the nation in their first game of the season when they face No. 2 Notre Dame at home Sept. 2.

"It's a pretty big stage," Hall said. "It's a great opportunity to go out there and show what type of defense we have, what type of offense, special teams, and our team as a whole. This is a great opportunity for this Georgia Tech team."

The Ramblin' Wreck-which finished 7-5 in 2005-was successful in big games last season, upsetting No. 15 Auburn and third-ranked Miami on the road. But the Yellow Jackets also struggled at times, falling to Virginia Tech, 51-7, and losing, 38-10, to Utah in the Emerald Bowl.

Georgia Tech must limit its inconsistencies if it intends to break over the hump this year. The Yellow Jackets' success will hinge on offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, who assumed play-calling responsibilities from Gailey in the offseason. Nix will be able to spread out play distribution to alleviate the extra attention on Johnson.

With a more balanced attack, the oft-criticized Ball and his offense could finally support the already strong defense.

"There's a lot of knock about Reggie, but I love him," Choice said. "He's really confident right now and he understands what's at stake in his senior year."

Share and discuss “Jackets prep for breakout year” on social media.