Freshman QB to start for Wake Forest

Whoever head coach Ted Roof ends up going with as starting quarterback Saturday--Marcus Jones in his second career start or freshman Thaddeus Lewis in his first--Duke will still have a slight experience advantage at the position over the Demon Deacons.

Wake Forest redshirt freshman Riley Skinner has fallen into the starting quarterback position after former starter Benjamin Mauk went down in the Demon Deacons' 20-10 win over Syracuse last Saturday. When word came out that Mauk would likely be out for the season, Skinner--who has played in three career offensive drives--was named the starter for Saturday's home matchup with Duke.

Mauk's gruesome injury came with five minutes remaining in the third quarter, and the game notched at 10. With the Demon Deacons threatening inside Syracuse's 20-yard line, running back De'Angelo Bryant fumbled, and Mauk dove for the loose ball. Wake recovered the fumble and later kicked a go-ahead field goal. But Mauk suffered a broken right arm and a dislocated shoulder in what his coach called the most courageous play he had ever seen out of a quarterback.

"It was definitely not the way I wanted to come into the game," Skinner said. "It was something that nobody on our team wanted to see. Ben was playing great during the game, playing great all summer and fall.... We're going to have to make big steps coming back from that."

Skinner received a rude welcome--he was sacked on his second collegiate snap--but the Wake Forest ground game was able to largely conceal his inexperience. Skinner led the offensive unit for three drives but only attempted one pass, while the rushing attack carried the ball 17 times.

"We feel absolutely confident in Riley Skinner's ability--it's just the game experience that he lacks," head coach Jim Grobe said. "So that's what we have to find out. I have a feeling he's going to be fine. We just have to get out there and play."

The Wake Forest coaches will try to make Skinner more comfortable by repeating the team's recent success in the run game.

Last season against the Blue Devils, the Demon Deacons racked up an astounding 419 yards on the ground while averaging more than eight yards per carry. That ball-control mentality, backed by a veteran defense, may relieve pressure from the rookie to force any big plays.

"Saturday, we're going to do what the coaches ask-not to make huge plays every time, but to settle down and run things," Skinner said. "We've got a heck of a defense, one of the best in the league."

Even with Skinner making his first start Saturday, the Demon Deacons are heavily favored to beat Duke. Still, Skinner said his squad is ready for anything in both teams' first ACC matchup.

"I don't think being overconfident is something that we have to worry about," Skinner said. "Duke has great defensive talent. We're going to have to be on our A-game to get the win. Manage the game, handle the ball, that's what I need to do."

Share and discuss “Freshman QB to start for Wake Forest” on social media.