Coach G names 2006-07 captains

Seniors Lindsey Harding and Alison Bales were elected by their teammates to be co-captains of the women's basketball team for the 2006-2007 season, head coach Gail Goestenkors announced Tuesday.

"I am really excited about the leadership of our seniors, and I think it is only appropriate that their teammates voted them captains," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "Both Alison and Lindsey are great players, leaders and have had tremendous experiences here. I think having both of them as co-captains will be excellent for this year's team because they lead in totally different ways."

Harding, a 5-foot-8 point guard, won ACC Defensive Player of the Year honors last season and, with 210 career steals, ranks seventh all-time in steals at Duke.

She also averaged a career-best 10.7 points and 4.5 assists in a season when Duke lost in the NCAA title game.

"[Lindsey] is the one who really runs the show as well as knows what I want and need on the floor at all times," Goestenkors said.

Bales, who was named as the Bridgeport Regional MVP and garnered NCAA Final Four All-Tournament honors last March, is also coming off a career year.

With 282 blocked shots, the 6-7 senior is already Duke's all-time shot block leader. Bales is only 48 blocks shy of surpassing Virginia's DeMya Walker for the ACC career blocked shots record.

"This year, [Alison] will a much more vocal leader and come to the forefront," Goestenkors said.

Share and discuss “Coach G names 2006-07 captains” on social media.