Car accident injures Duke student

An SUV flipped onto the hood of an Audi sedan around 1:05 p.m. Friday at the intersection of Towerview Rd and Erwin Rd after being hit by a car that ran a red light, Duke University Police Department officials reported.

The SUV's driver, a 22-year old senior in Trinity College, was taken to Duke University Medical Center as a precaution but did not sustain life-threatening injuries, said Lt. Sara-Jane Raines, DUPD administrative services executive officer.

The victim's name was not immediately available and no charges have been filed.

The accident began when Gabrielle Vires, a 21-year old student in the Duke Continuing Studies paralegal certificate program, ran a red light while traveling west on Erwin Rd.

"The light was green, I was on Erwin, and then it was red," Vires said, adding that her 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt is brand-new.

"I broke but then I skidded through the intersection," she said.

Vires' car collided with the rear of the victim's SUV, which was traveling north on Towerview Rd, Raines said.

"The [victim's] car was hit after it was most of the way through the intersection," Raines noted.

The force of the impact lifted the SUV into the air, landing on the hood of an Audi sedan waiting in the left-turn lane on southbound Towerview Rd, she said.

The SUV slid off the Audi and landed upside-down, she said.

The Audi's three occupants-including Dr. Shein-Chung Chow and Sin-ho Jung, professors in DUMC-were unharmed.

Raines said an investigation is underway and all information should be considered preliminary, adding that charges may be filed at a later date.

"In a case like this it's our decision not the victim's, but if the victim wanted us to file charges, we would take that into consideration," Raines said.

Iza Wojciechowska contributed to this article.

Share and discuss “Car accident injures Duke student” on social media.