Blue Devils prep for 'BeamerBall'

Every coach preaches the importance of special teams, but perhaps no one embodies this belief more than Virginia Tech head coach Frank Beamer.

"BeamerBall" has become a household phrase among college football fans, especially those who have watched the Hokies terrorize Big East and ACC teams in recent years. Since 2000, No. 14 Virginia Tech (2-0, 1-0 in the ACC) has blocked 35 kicks--the third most of any team during that period.

The Hokies' strength on special teams could spell trouble for Duke, as the Blue Devils (0-2, 0-1 in the ACC) have struggled in that area of the game so far this season.

"It's certainly a challenge," head coach Ted Roof said. "They've got great special teams. If you look at what's happened so far with their season, they've blocked a punt in both games and set up a lot of scoring opportunity for their offense."

Although most teams have a position coach for special teams, Beamer doubles as the coach in that department for the Hokies. The added emphasis on special teams-and the success that Virginia Tech has had-is a defining characteristic of Beamer's teams, which have been to 13 straight bowl games.

"We put a lot of emphasis on [special teams] too," Roof said. "The thing that they do is that they just keep the pressure on you. They have so much speed and athleticism, and they're very aggressive in what they do. We've got to be ready to answer the call."

This season, Duke has struggled in the kicking game. Sophomore kicker Joe Surgan has failed in four of his six field goal attempts-two of which were blocked-including last Saturday's miss as time expired at Wake Forest.

Punter Alex Feinberg is averaging 33.9 yards per punt, and he has only pinned the opponent inside the 20 yard-line three times. The Blue Devils have also struggled returning punts, gaining a total of eight yards on four returns.

"I think our coverage through the first two weeks has improved, and now we've got to continue to improve at the punter and kicker position," Roof said.

Although the term "BeamerBall" is usually used in reference to Virginia Tech's special teams, it also applies to the team's focus on defense.

In 2005, the Hokies led the nation in total defense and finished second in scoring defense, allowing only 12.9 points per game.

In its 35-10 victory over North Carolina last Saturday, Virginia Tech blocked a punt and intercepted four passes, including one that was returned for a score.

Saturday, the Hokie defense will look to put the pressure on Duke's offensive line and freshman quarterback Thaddeus Lewis, who is making just his second collegiate start.

"It'll be a big challenge for us," Roof said. "The thing that we have to understand is that it's not just our offensive line, but it's our tight ends and running backs. It's their responsibility to protect our quarterback."

Share and discuss “Blue Devils prep for 'BeamerBall'” on social media.