Rape allegations, media fallout rankle community

Students, faculty and community members gathered to channel the heated emotions stirred up by rape allegations made against the men's lacrosse team into a useful conversation Wednesday night.

The audience of about 60 met at a forum -titled "Thinking About This Social Disaster" and sponsored by the African and African-American Studies program-to discuss the long-term effects of the alleged crimes and the media attention they have drawn.

"Whatever happens with the court case, people are asking that the everyday change," said Wahneema Lubiano, associate professor of AAS and literature.

She said students could and should address issues such as sexism and racial intolerance without being catalyzed by recent events.

Thavolia Glymph, AAAS assistant professor, said she is disappointed with the community because "since the DNA results were returned Monday, we [have been] moving backwards."

She said the results have given the community a false sense of vindication and that students now feel issues such as race and gender no longer need to be examined.

Those present also criticized the media's reporting and coverage of the alleged rape and subsequent campus reaction.

"It really frustrates me when the newspapers paint the issue as rich, white Duke versus poor, black Durham," one student said. "There are many people who aren't in these neat boxes like it is being portrayed."

Another audience member noted that the media's influence on community discussion has been negative.

"We have been programmed by the media to see this story from the media's perspective," she said. "Race and sex are being depicted by the people who use it to divide us."

At one point, Charles Payne, director of AAAS, stood up and asked that all members of the media in the room-including a reporter from The Washington Post-to identify themselves as such.

"People should know if they are speaking to half of America," Payne said.

Senior Wintta Woldemariam, president of Black Student Alliance, said she has been hesitant to speak to the media.

"When speaking to the news, I've been cautious. I don't want to make it a black woman versus white male issue," Woldemariam said. "What disgusts me is that the media is framing the issue in such a simplified way."

She also commented on President Richard Brodhead's recent e-mail to the entire student body, which outlined the administration's planned response to the lacrosse situation.

"I thought the e-mail was very good but conveniently danced around the issue of race," she said.

The forum concluded with discussion of the need for students to convene and exchange ideas about the alleged assault as well as other issues.

Lubiano suggested that weekly meetings be held to promote discussion, in an effort to mimic the daily meetings of activists during the Civil Rights Movement.

"We have to provide an opportunity for people to start thinking about this situation together," she said.

Share and discuss “Rape allegations, media fallout rankle community” on social media.