Otero succeeds as Blue Devils' ace

Danny Otero doesn't have to worry about making social plans Friday nights-he has a standing date with the pitcher's mound.

At the same time most weeks, the junior right-handed hurler is focusing on his next pitch from the mound and trying to start the Blue Devils' weekend series off with a bang.

"Danny's our Friday night starter and we feel good that he gives us a good opportunity to get game one or to be in game one of every ACC series," head coach Sean McNally said. "That's an important thing to be able to say and that's a tough thing to say in this league because it's such a good league."

This season, Otero (5-3) has evolved into the staff ace, responsible for almost half of the team's 12 total wins. And he has been rewarded with the coveted spot as Friday night starter.

Since there is no point in changing something that is not broken, Otero said he starts preparing Thursday night with his ritual dinner of steak and lobster-the Surf 'n' Turf-from Red Lobster.

"I try to eat the same meal Thursday night," the right-hander said. "For Friday I come out [to the park] at the same time, 5:15, and get stretched at 6:25 and just go through the same sort of deal every time out so I try not to change anything."

Fellow Duke pitcher Jonathan Anderson, who grew up with Otero in the Miami area and played with him since they were both nine, said he is excited about his friend's phenomenal season and has enjoyed playing with and against the quirky pitcher for many years.

"He's a baseball player in every sense of the word and he does have his superstitions," Anderson said. "He's been one of my best friends and we've gotten here and we've gotten even closer. He's a great guy.

"He's the guy that I would want on the mound when the situation is tough. I know he's going to throw strikes, he's going to battle and he's going to get hitters out."

From the rubber, Otero leads the Blue Devils with a 1.99 ERA-good for fourth best in the ACC among starters-and has struck out a team-high 45 batters. In his team-leading 68 innings pitched, Otero has allowed only two home runs while holding hitters to a .245 batting average.

The junior's success at the collegiate level is likely to draw the attention of professional scouts. He does not possess an overpowering arm, but his ability to succeed in the ACC has impressed many. Otero's teammates think he has a chance of one day joining past Duke pitchers Scott Schoeneweis and Chris Capuano in the Major Leagues.

"I think he has a very good shot of getting drafted," Anderson said. "He's on top of his game every single time he goes out there.... I'm sure he's going to have a great shot in the draft and whoever picks him is going to have one heck of a pitcher."

Otero has downplayed his draft status, however, and said he wants to focus on things he can control, such as getting the Blue Devils wins and refining his favorite pitch-the fastball.

"I'm just trying to get out there and help the team win," Otero said. "I just have to worry about when they tell me to pitch and whatever happens after that happens.... [The draft] is not for another couple of months, so I'll just have to see when that comes about."

Otero's breakout season, which was highlighted by a complete-game, 4-2 win at Maryland March 3, would not have been possible had he not recovered from off-season surgery.

The right-hander had an operation on his right hip Dec. 20 to repair a nagging injury that was hindering his delivery from the mound.

Otero missed just under a month before battling back during the winter to be ready to pitch again this season.

McNally said his pitcher's hard work overcoming the injury and his competitive, aggressive nature on the mound speak for themselves.

"We're pleased with the progress that he's made," McNally said. "A lot of credit to the hard work he's put in. We have a positive feeling when he gets on the mound. I think he's a guy that provides a good example in the way he pitches."

Share and discuss “Otero succeeds as Blue Devils' ace” on social media.