News briefs

Durham high school joins UNC system

The 16-campus University of North Carolina system soon may have a new, younger member.

The system's Board of Governors voted to let the N.C. School of Science and Mathematics in Durham become the 17th campus in the system April 11. The Legislature must approve the motion for the school to become a member.

The science and math school enrolls 635 high school juniors and seniors from across the state.

The UNC system is trying to increase its commitment to improving teaching, especially science and math teaching. As part of its 2006-07 budget requests, the board is asking the Legislature for $21.2 million for programs to bolster K-12 teaching in the state.

"I cannot overstate my concern about this," UNC system President Erskine Bowles told members of a Board of Governors' committee about the teacher shortage.

Trustees with the science and math school unanimously approved the affiliation in March.

N.C. mayors call for improved justice system

An overburdened court system with antiquated technology and tight staffing is hurting the criminal justice system and the quality of life in the state's largest cities, a group of mayors, including Durham Mayor Bill Bell, said April 13.

"Whether it's Charlotte, Raleigh or Winston-Salem or any other city represented, we're arresting the same people over and over and over again and nothing is happening," Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory said. "People are being mugged on the streets. People are stealing cars. People are robbing stores and nothing is happening."

McCrory and other members of the North Carolina Metropolitan Coalition were in Raleigh for an organizational meeting and to meet with state Supreme Court Chief Justice Sarah Parker and North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper to discuss ways to improve the court system. The topic is expected to be the coalition's top issue during the legislative session that starts May 9.

Share and discuss “News briefs” on social media.